Posted to microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Default how to get around the Enable Macro security message?

HI all,

When the users open my Excel/VBA sheet, they met with a window asking if
Macro should be enabled.

My users are not that sophisticated... so I would like everything simple for
them. Is there a way to get rid of such complications?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Buy a digital certificate and sign the macro with it.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"cfman" wrote in message
:

HI all,

When the users open my Excel/VBA sheet, they met with a window asking if
Macro should be enabled.

My users are not that sophisticated... so I would like everything simple for
them. Is there a way to get rid of such complications?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel

First, I agree completely with what Bob and Patrick have said:
Low macro security is not really the way to go, and
A digital signature is a way to get around the notice.

Now, one other way you can "deal" with it, in the way of educating the end
user is to put a worksheet in nthe workbook that has instructions on how to
set the security settings and respond to the warnings or even how to accept
your digital signature as a valid trusted source. Make sure that sheet is
the one selected when you save the workbook before sending it to the user.

In the Workbook's Open event put some code to hide that sheet. This way, if
they have macros enabled, they never see the sheet since the code hides it.
But if they have macro security set to high/very high or chose [Disabled] at
the warning then the sheet will remain visible and they'll have guidance on
how to use your workbook with all of its features.

"cfman" wrote:

HI all,

When the users open my Excel/VBA sheet, they met with a window asking if
Macro should be enabled.

My users are not that sophisticated... so I would like everything simple for
them. Is there a way to get rid of such complications?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

Another option is to write a program in VB which opens the workbook for you.
Workbooks which open through automation are implicitly trusted, since the
program that opens them (the VB program) are assumed to have been opened on
purpose.

This approach is good for unsophisicated users, as you can put an icon for
the VB program on the desktop for the users to launch the program.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"cfman" wrote in message
HI all,

When the users open my Excel/VBA sheet, they met with a window asking if
Macro should be enabled.

My users are not that sophisticated... so I would like everything simple
for them. Is there a way to get rid of such complications?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.office.developer.vba,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel

A very nice example of this is found in chapter 20 of the Professional Excel
Development book by Bullen, Bovey, and Green. Under the Practical Examples
at the end of the chapter, look for "Standard EXE - Creating a Front Loader
for Your Excel Application". This book is full of many practical examples
like this one.

Here's a link to the book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re...&creative=9325

- Jon