Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I stop the cell from becoming a drop down box when editing

I was using excel yesterday and somehow changed a setting so that when I
double click in a cell to edit it, it now looks like it drops down over the
cell below. The text ends up in the correct box, but I would like to see if
anyone knows how to make this stop. I want it to go back to the default.
--
Thanks,
Andy R
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Two things:

1. make sure the cell has no Data Validation
3. make sure the cell contains no ALT-ENTERs
--
Gary''s Student
gsnu200708

"Andy R" wrote:

I was using excel yesterday and somehow changed a setting so that when I
double click in a cell to edit it, it now looks like it drops down over the
cell below. The text ends up in the correct box, but I would like to see if
anyone knows how to make this stop. I want it to go back to the default.
--
Thanks,
Andy R

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I stop the cell from becoming a drop down box when edit

Garys Student,

Thanks for the info. Neither of these is happening. The problem happens in
any cell I try to edit. I think I changed some kind of default setting.
--
Thanks,
Andy R

"Andy R" wrote:

I was using excel yesterday and somehow changed a setting so that when I
double click in a cell to edit it, it now looks like it drops down over the
cell below. The text ends up in the correct box, but I would like to see if
anyone knows how to make this stop. I want it to go back to the default.
--
Thanks,
Andy R

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Andy

Sounds like you have Wrap Text enabled and the text in the cell is wrapping
because of its width.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP