Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File Properties Frozen

I have a worksheet that has locked file properties (attributes: archive, read
only).

How can I unlock these properties?

This worksheet is locked as "archive" and is not viewable by Windows
Explorer, although it is viewable and editable by Excel. I created the
worksheet from a template I downloaded from the Microsoft templates.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If it's not viewable by windows, how can you open it in excel?

It won't be by double clicking in windows explorer. And if the file isn't
viewable in windows explorer, it wasn't visible in File|Open (inside excel).

Do you type the name in the file|open dialog?

Anyway...

If the file is marked hidden (at the operating system level), you can show it
via:

Open windows explorer
Tools|folder options|view tab
scroll down to: Hidden files and folders
click on "Show hidden files and folders"
Then ok your way out.

Go to the folder that holds that file.
Rightclick on the file (it should be visible now)
select properties
change what you want (uncheck hidden and readonly, archive won't matter)

I'd change the "Show hidden files and folders" back, when I was done--but it's a
user setting. You can keep it the way you like.

The archive setting isn't important--except for some backup software. Each time
the file is updated, this setting gets turned on. Lots of backup software looks
at this setting to know if to back it up or not. After the file is backed up,
the backup software turns this setting off.

=================
If all this doesn't help, maybe you just downloaded the template, made changes
and saved the file. If you did that, then the file could be in your Temporary
internet files.

If you haven't made many changes, just download it again and before you do any
thing, do a File|SaveAs. And point to your favorite folder (away from that
Temporary internet files folder).

If you made lots of changes, you may get lucky.

If you open excel, you may find the file listed under File (near the bottom).

Open it and then do a File|SaveAs and point to an nice safe folder!

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're not gonna share what the solution was??

Inquiring minds want to know!

Odie wrote:

Thanks!!! You saved my sanity.