Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel; shows a line of # instead of my text in a merged cell.

In my excel spreadsheet there is are merged cells that I input text into each
month. Some seem to work fine, however others display a single line of
###########
instead of my actual text.

Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Probably the cell is formatted as Text.

Re-format to General.

Excel has problems with Text-formatted cells when character count is 255 to 1024

BTW.....unless the merged cells are just for appearance, I would dump them.

They will cause you no end of problems with sorting, copying, pasting,
autofitting and a host of others I can't remember right now.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:05:05 -0800, ExcelRon
wrote:

In my excel spreadsheet there is are merged cells that I input text into each
month. Some seem to work fine, however others display a single line of
###########
instead of my actual text.

Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Generally this means the cell is too narrow to display the stored entry
But merged cells have their own problems
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"ExcelRon" wrote in message
In my excel spreadsheet there is are merged cells that I input text into
each
month. Some seem to work fine, however others display a single line of
###########
instead of my actual text.

Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That happens for either of two reasons: (1) the column is not wide enough to
display the data, or (2) the cell is formatted for date and/or time and the
cell contains a negative value.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"ExcelRon" wrote in message
In my excel spreadsheet there is are merged cells that I input text into
each
month. Some seem to work fine, however others display a single line of
###########
instead of my actual text.

Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It worked! I re-formated to General and now my text is displayed. Thanks for
the tip.

I agree about merged cells, I try to avoid them whenever possible, but
there's no way around this one. Thanks again for the tip.
Ron

wrote:

In my excel spreadsheet there is are merged cells that I input text into each
month. Some seem to work fine, however others display a single line of
instead of my actual text.

Why does this happen, and how can I fix it?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip

See my post for possible third reason when mucho text in a Text-formatted cell.

Gord