Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel

Hi everyone...My name is Traci..........I have a question regarding excel if
someone could help I would greatly appreciate it...

I started a new job about 2 months ago and we are using excel...The page has
been set up into columns for; address, file number, fee amount, and then the
GST section which gets added in automatically, and then who the job is going
to....it has been set up this way for about 4 years. We are using the same
page on excel as 4 years ago so you can scroll up and get all the info from
2002, etc....My question is the receivable total at the bottom shows all the
combined totals owing from all the years so it shows a HUGE amount owing to
us for all those years combined....How do I separate each year to provide a
different amount for receivables for each year.....Do I just add in extra
spaces to separate the years or how would I go about separating the yearly
totals? Please help me as I really need to get this done ASAP....PLEASE help
if you can...Thank you very much from someone desparatly needing
assistance....lol
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lyn Lyn is offline

Excel will add together what you tell it to! If you click in the cell that
contains the total, you should see a formula above; that formula likely
contains a range that includes previous years. What you could do is click in
that cell, click your AutoSum button and at first Excel will "guess" what you
want it to add. If the range isn't correct, click and hold down on the mouse
to highlight all the cells you want it to add instead.

"Keepitsimple72" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let's assume that one of your columns has the date in it (for example column
Z). In an unused column enter=YEAR(Z2) and copy down. Put a label in Z1.

Go to Z1 and switch on AutoFilter.

You can now select only those rows for a given year. In place of the SUM()
function for the receivables, use the SUBTOTAL() function. See Excel help.

SUBTOTAL can be used to sum up only the visible cells and thus display
yearly totals if the other years are filtered out.
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200708

"Keepitsimple72" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think a Pivot Table may be what you need.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for excellent assistance with PT's

http://www.contextures.on.ca/tiptech.html