Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula not updating even after F9 calc

I have a spreadsheet at work that is basically a group of ledger worksheets
that summarize to another worksheet. Most of the worksheet is protected
since I send it to my employees to fill in specific parts (which are the
cells not protected). After emailing it to them, certain formulas stop
updating with the proper numbers. Specifically they are ones that simply
reference another cell on one of the worksheets in the workbook. (so
something like: ='Gribble, S'!D62 where Gribble is the name of the worksheet).

Automatic calculation is marked in the options tab. F9 and Shift F9 have no
effect. If I edit the formula and erase any part of it and type it back in
it suddenly pulls the correct value. It is only on specific worksheets or
colums, and if I enter another formula in the faulty sheet it work fine. It
is almost as if the formula is correct but it is hanging on to old numbers.
This only happens when I email them to my employee and it is not happening
all the time.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never seen this in real life, but others have said doing this fixes the
problem:

Select all the cells on the worksheet
edit|Replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: =
replace all

It'll force excel to re-evaluate the formulas.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ay, there's the rub.

I've never seen anyone explain it -- besides the obvious thing that excel messed
up.

And if there was a way to prevent it, I bet MS would have resolved the problem
(or maybe not <vbg).

Bryan wrote:

[...]

calc. formula for % Frustrated in NY Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 24th 06 07:30 PM
Cell formula not updating, auto calc on, over 100 sheets mcphc Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 June 15th 06 04:03 PM
Calc formula Ron New Users to Excel 2 March 29th 06 12:35 PM
auto calc on, but have to edit (f2) cells to force re-calc..help! Curt Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 13th 06 06:05 PM
How do you use text in a formula so it will calc, but ignores txt RLP Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 July 5th 05 10:15 PM