Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extract data and print in columns

I have a small spread sheet where I have names in column A and various values
in columns B thru H. I need to select a value from column B, have excel
extract the data and copy and sort the names to a new column or worksheet.
I've tried Vlookup and lookup but can't get them to work right.

Is this something I'm going to have to learn VBA to do?

Thanks in advance,
Graycoast
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

depending on what you are trying to do, which unfortuanately I couldn't tell
from your write up, check out advanced filter in help to see if it will do
what you want.

"Graycoast" wrote:

I have a small spread sheet where I have names in column A and various values
in columns B thru H. I need to select a value from column B, have excel
extract the data and copy and sort the names to a new column or worksheet.
I've tried Vlookup and lookup but can't get them to work right.

Is this something I'm going to have to learn VBA to do?

Thanks in advance,
Graycoast

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

BJ,

It is a schedule where I need to extract the time starts and print them by
time start, i.e. all 10am starts would print in 1 column and all 12pm starts
would print in another column.

I tried autofilter, but didn't like the results.

Is there perhaps an "array" function I could use? I've looked and couldn't
find one.

Thanks for the help,
graycoast

"Graycoast" wrote:

I have a small spread sheet where I have names in column A and various values
in columns B thru H. I need to select a value from column B, have excel
extract the data and copy and sort the names to a new column or worksheet.
I've tried Vlookup and lookup but can't get them to work right.

Is this something I'm going to have to learn VBA to do?

Thanks in advance,
Graycoast

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

Is it names only which you need in the column or is there information from
the other columns which also need to be transferred?

"Graycoast" wrote:

I have a small spread sheet where I have names in column A and various values
in columns B thru H. I need to select a value from column B, have excel
extract the data and copy and sort the names to a new column or worksheet.
I've tried Vlookup and lookup but can't get them to work right.

Is this something I'm going to have to learn VBA to do?

Thanks in advance,
Graycoast

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need to extract the names by time start. For the report, all of the 10am
time starts will be listed in a column and all of the 12pm time starts will
be listed by column. For that part, only the names are printed. The section
for supervisors will contain both name and time start, sorted by time start
then name.

A schedule for one week will equal 7 daily reports. I'm doing this for a
friend and right now she is using cut and paste to create the daily reports.

I can do it manually so I'm trying to record macros to duplicate the manual
effort. What I'm doing is testing for the time start, i.e. if time start
equals 10am, then place the name in the column else leave it blank. I then
select the area and sort the data.

As powerful as Excel is, I thought it would be easier. Maybe if I upgrade
to 2003 or 2007 the list command might work.

Thanks for your help,
graycoast

"Graycoast" wrote:

I have a small spread sheet where I have names in column A and various values
in columns B thru H. I need to select a value from column B, have excel
extract the data and copy and sort the names to a new column or worksheet.
I've tried Vlookup and lookup but can't get them to work right.

Is this something I'm going to have to learn VBA to do?

Thanks in advance,
Graycoast

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

You had said earlier that you didn't like the results from autofilter. Auto
filter would be the easiest way to grab the names to copy and paste from. it
seems like it would be easier than an if statement to determine when the
start time is. wha

the multiple extractions based on one criteria is probably one of the most
popular questions found in discussions. There are some very nice solutions
for specific lookups, but none that work in every case.