Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default count max

Hi,

I am wanting to count the max length of data (text and numeric) in a huge
data set. I need to know this information by column so thinking along the
lines of
=LEN(C182:C189) which of course does not work.

Can anyone suggest something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use an array formula like

=MAX(LEN(A1:A10))

This is an array formula, so after you type the formula, press
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER. If you do this correctly, Excel
will display the formula enclosed in curly braces {}.

"Little Pete" wrote in message

I am wanting to count the max length of data (text and numeric) in a huge
data set. I need to know this information by column so thinking along
the
lines of
=LEN(C182:C189) which of course does not work.

Can anyone suggest something?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try:

=max(len(c182:c189))

But use ctrl-shift-enter instead of just enter.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Numbers will need a decision if you want them formatted a certain way.
For example:

The value 1234.56 may be displayed as: 1234.560
If you don't care if the trailing zeros are counted in length,

With this list in A1:A10
Albany
Albuquerque
Boston
Chicago
Sacramento
123.08
New Orleans
Denver
1234
123456789.012

This regular formula returns the maximum cell contents length for that range
B1: =MAX(INDEX(LEN(A1:A10),0))

In that example: the Max is 13 (the length of 123456789.012)

Does that help?
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP