Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problems using autosum when VLOOKUP produces #N/A

I have a prepopulated order form which uses VLOOKUPS. Until the user
completes a line, VLOOKUP produces a not available result #N/A. I would like
to include an order total field which gives the user a constantly updated
order total, however the #N/A is preventing me from doing so. As long as
there is a #N/A in the colum, the sum field only shows #N/A

Is there a way to get the sum to work?
THanks
--
Lele
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're typing the value to look up in column A, maybe you could use:

=if(a2="","",vlookup(a2,.....))

=sum() will ignore text values--including "".

Lele wrote:

I have a prepopulated order form which uses VLOOKUPS. Until the user
completes a line, VLOOKUP produces a not available result #N/A. I would like
to include an order total field which gives the user a constantly updated
order total, however the #N/A is preventing me from doing so. As long as
there is a #N/A in the colum, the sum field only shows #N/A

Is there a way to get the sum to work?
THanks
--
Lele

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could also use Iserror in combination with If statement to work around
this problem.... for example if your vlookup is like
=vlookup(a2,page!A2:G15,3,false).... then just add
if(iserror(vlookup(a2,page!A2:G15,3,false))=true,0 ,vlookup(a2,page!A2:G15,3,false)).
This function will get rid of any errors that appear in the vlookup function.
I hope this helps.