Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cannot open saved Excel files

I recently upgraded from Office XP to Office 2007. Now when I try to open an
Excel file through Windows Explorer or Windows Search I get the message
"Windows cannot find <filename. Make sure that you typed the name correctly,
and then try again. This problem applies to files created by Office 2007 as
well as to older ones.

However, if I create a file, save it and then try to open it by clicking on
the 'Office Button' and then clicking on the file name in 'Recent Documents',
the file opens properly. Similarly, if I click on the 'Office Button' and
then locate the file using the "Open" function it opens as expected. This
applies to all file types, i.e. 2007 and earlier. Note that the locations and
names of the now-opened files are the same as those that WE and Search wasn't
able to find.

Any ideas on what the problem is and how to sort it out? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The first thing I would check is the file association setup. In a folder
window, choose "Folder Options" from the "Tools" menu. There, click the
"File Types" tab and scroll down to "xls" or "xlsm", and click the
"Advanced" button. In that dialog, choose "Open" from the Actions list and
click "Edit". In that dialog, look at the DDE message. It should be:

[open("%1")]

If the quotes are missing, insert them as shown above.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Chip, thanks for your response.

I haven't been able to find the specific path you referred to. In my post I
should have mentioned that I'm using Vista Business, which may be the reason.
Through programsdefault programsset associations I got into the "Associate
a file type or protocol with a specific program". I scroll down to .XLS and
when I click on the .xls file type a screen pops up stating that Microsoft
Office Excel is the recommended program to open this file type, together with
a ticked 'greyed out' box stating "Always use the selected program to open
this kind of file." I can't see any way to make any changes to the
characteristics of the .xls files.

One suggestion in response to other postings citing similar problems
suggested "Check the setting in tools/options/general/ignore other
applications
(should be unchecked) ", but I can't find this path in Excel 2007.

Another suggestion was "Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar
1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK. "

I tried this, but it didn't work for me. I'd like to check your DDE message
suggestion but can't find the way to the appropriate dialog box. Can you
guide me to it.

Many thanks.