Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy a Column as Row headings.

I would like to copy a column list as row headings. I would prefer that a
formula be copied and modified to do that job so that when I change a value
in the column of entries, the row heading is changed automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lets say the column heading are in cells C10 thru C20 (modify to meet your
requirements)

In A1 thru K1 enter:

=C10
=C11
=C12
=C13
=C14
=C15
=C16
=C17
=C18
=C19
=C20

--
Gary's Student
gsnu200707

"John Gilmer" wrote:

I would like to copy a column list as row headings. I would prefer that a
formula be copied and modified to do that job so that when I change a value
in the column of entries, the row heading is changed automatically.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
Lets say the column heading are in cells C10 thru C20 (modify to meet your
requirements)

In A1 thru K1 enter:

=C10
=C11
=C12
=C13
=C14
=C15
=C16
=C17
=C18
=C19
=C20

--
Gary's Student
gsnu200707

That's what I have been doing.

I'm VERY lazy (and somewhat geek oriented) so I want the C3....C50 entries
to be made automatically. Aside from saving work it will also reduce the
chance of a data entry error.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see your point. In A1 enter:
=INDIRECT("C" & COLUMN()+9)
and copy across. This is only one formula rather than many.

The +9 is a bit artificial and will need to be adjusted if the list does not
start in C10
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200707

"John Gilmer" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
I see your point. In A1 enter:
=INDIRECT("C" & COLUMN()+9)
and copy across. This is only one formula rather than many.

The +9 is a bit artificial and will need to be adjusted if the list does

not
start in C10

OK.

That's a start.

I may have some questions down the line.

For example, were I to want to sort the rows via the "key" entry, that would
automatically change the column heads. BUT the data corresponding to the
cross points would no longer be in the right place.

But I will look into that "some other time."

Thanks, again.

--
Gary's Student
gsnu200707

"John Gilmer" wrote:

"Gary''s Student" wrote in

message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may want to look at the =transpose() function.

If your headers are in A1:A10 (10 cells)
then select B1:K1 (10 cells, too)
Type this formula:
=transpose(a1:A10)

but hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of just enter to fill that horizontal range.

John Gilmer wrote:

I would like to copy a column list as row headings. I would prefer that a
formula be copied and modified to do that job so that when I change a value
in the column of entries, the row heading is changed automatically.

Thanks in advance.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

You've got a response to your other similar looking post in .newusers
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
You may want to look at the =transpose() function.

OK.

I will check it out.

Clearly I am creating a square matrix and matrix operators might be useful.

Thanks again