Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2007 - Sharpoint 2003 can't update list on server

I have Excel 2007 installed and I want to work with a SharePoint list on a
SP 2K3 machine. I am able to export the list to Excel and it shows it as
being linked to the server.

However I am unable to sync the changes I make back to the Server. In Excel
2003 I would just select list and then synchronize. I have found this
command in Excel 2007, but it remains grayed out no matter what I do.

Can anyone share any insight? I have the necessary permissions to do this on
the site and it works in Excel 2003.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From... http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/search.a...SHAREPOINT&p=1
August 24, 2006 - Eric Patterson - Microsoft
Deprecated features for Excel 2007...

"Writeback to SharePoint
Excel 2003 added the ability to connect to (read) and update (write)
to lists that reside on SharePoint sites.
Moving forward we are focusing our efforts on Access as the best way for
writing data to lists on SharePoint and taking SharePoint lists offline.

For Excel we are deprecating the update behavior in the following ways:
Existing files from Excel 2003 will load and continue to support update
functionality when opened in Excel 2007.
Lists linked to SharePoint will be converted to read-only Tables when
existing files are saved to the new Excel 12 file formats.
It is still possible to "publish" a Table to SharePoint,
however this is a one-time write to SharePoint."
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Michael Price"
wrote in message
I have Excel 2007 installed and I want to work with a SharePoint list on a
SP 2K3 machine. I am able to export the list to Excel and it shows it as
being linked to the server.

However I am unable to sync the changes I make back to the Server. In Excel
2003 I would just select list and then synchronize. I have found this
command in Excel 2007, but it remains grayed out no matter what I do.

Can anyone share any insight? I have the necessary permissions to do this on
the site and it works in Excel 2003.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am the wrong person to ask and this is not the best newsgroup to get
an answer in.
I just checked and there are over 20 each Access and SharePoint Microsoft
newsgroups that would be better venue.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA