Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default getting SPC data into excel

I have a SPI-Tronic Pro 3600 Digital Level with SPC output that I am trying
to use with Excel. The level has a footswitch that connects it to the
computer and when pressing the footswitch it sends the data to the computer
via RS-232. I can't get the data to input into excel, however, I am able to
fire up Hyperterminal and get the data to be captured there.

Anyone got idea how to get excel to capture the data from the serial port or
hyperterminal.

Thanks!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't know how to do this, so I applied my usual protocol for learning a
new trick. I went to Google, typed in

Excel rs232 data transfer

and found a number of devices and tutorials for connecting an RS232 channel
to Excel.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

"scotty" wrote in message
I have a SPI-Tronic Pro 3600 Digital Level with SPC output that I am trying
to use with Excel. The level has a footswitch that connects it to the
computer and when pressing the footswitch it sends the data to the
computer
via RS-232. I can't get the data to input into excel, however, I am able
fire up Hyperterminal and get the data to be captured there.

Anyone got idea how to get excel to capture the data from the serial port
or
hyperterminal.

Thanks!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had done that, but wasn't finding anything that was freeware. I use a
digital protractor at work and have to enter the data manually and I know the
company isn't gonna spend any money to buy software to perform this task. I
did finally find a piece of software called Bill-Redirect serial com port to
keyboard buffer which claims to be "Free".

I am however having problems and I don't kow if it is the software or excel.

If you lay the digital level flat and zero it and then lift one end slightly
and press the footswitch, it will input the (negative)data into excel as I.E.
-1.5. If you then lift the other end slightly and press footwswitch it will
hightlight the whole row of the active cell and then input I.E , 2.5 and will
then ignore the option setting on how to move the cursor after data entry.

Any ideas?