PivotMan

Default pivot table results - with value in every row and column

In a pivot table, if you are summarizing data, the description under LOB (in
the example below)€¦AB,BC and DE are only stored beside the first entry in the
table to the right.

So if you want to use a table to summarize data that can then be used in a
database€¦the labels under LOB for everything other than the first entry in
Product Family are blank€¦

I know that there are ways to fill down€¦but that is not terribly convenient.

I was thinking that there ought to be a Pivot table formatting option..

Here is what I am getting:

Value
LOB Product Family Total
AB D1 976,448
D2 324,995
D3 7,114,802
D4 1,668,533
BC D1 1,921
D2 1,433,820
D3 609,058
D4 2,594,837
DE D1 370,667
D2 514,983
D3 3,230,190
D4 85,735

This is what I want.

Value
LOB Product Family Total
AB D1 976,448
AB D2 324,995
AB D3 7,114,802
AB D4 1,668,533
BC D1 1,921
BC D2 1,433,820
BC D3 609,058
BC D4 2,594,837
DE D1 370,667
DE D2 514,983
DE D3 3,230,190
DE D4 8,838

Debra Dalgleish

The row headings show once in a Pivot Table, and there's no setting you
can change, to force them to repeat.

To print the table with a heading on each row, you can create a copy of
the table, and fill the blanks:

http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

PivotMan wrote:
[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

PivotMan

Thanks Debra, Not sure I like the answer, but I appreciate the response none
the less.

The power of the pivot table (I think I am preaching to the choir here...)
is the ability to use the pivot table as a basis for other charts and tables.
I use the pivot table to stream line 50,000 lines of data into a manageable,
understandable report. But I also wanted to further break down the table
into more granualr tables.

There is a fantastic (and I do not use this lightly) tool available to
enhance charting called Xcelius. It allows dynamic charting by letting the
user select filter criteria, providing chart roll over details and target
comparisons as well as sensititivity analysis. However, in the hopes of
automating this managemetn portal I am creating, the need for Database like
entry out of a pivot table is crucial.

Anyway, thank again for your response and for all of your input on this
forum. Whenever I see an answer from you, I know I can rely on its accuracy.

Best regards

PivotMan wrote:
[...]

Debra Dalgleish

Perhaps you could use a another sheet, with formulas that refer to the
pivot table. For linked cells that are blank in the heading columns of
the pivot table, copy from the row above, otherwise, use the data from
the linked cell.

Create a dynamic range based on this secondary table, and use it for the
third party charts.