Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Too long formular

I encounter the problem that Excel does't allow me to enter a formular in
which containts very long letter. It may be longer that 500 letters.

how can i do to enlarge the capacity of the cell to be able to accommodate
the long characters which may be longer that 500 letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Post the long formula that you're trying to get Excel to accept. You can't
increase the capacity, but there could be alternatives to achieve the same
intent which is shorter.

In general, to keep formulas compact, one could use very short sheetnames,
eg single letters or digits: A, B, 1, 2. Also, if using IF(...) with longish
text returns for value_If_True and value_If_False, to point to cells
containing these instead of hardcoding the TRUE/FALSE text values within the
IF itself. And to avoid having to link sheets across books which could
introduce very long link strings, try to keep all inter-related sheets within
the same book. Just some thoughts ..
--
Max
Singapore
"Jacky Hope" wrote:
I encounter the problem that Excel does't allow me to enter a formular in
which containts very long letter. It may be longer that 500 letters.

how can i do to enlarge the capacity of the cell to be able to accommodate
the long characters which may be longer that 500 letter.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel will accommodate formulas that are 1024 characters long (measured in R1C1
reference style).

Maybe it's something else that's wrong.

Jacky Hope wrote:

I encounter the problem that Excel does't allow me to enter a formular in
which containts very long letter. It may be longer that 500 letters.

how can i do to enlarge the capacity of the cell to be able to accommodate
the long characters which may be longer that 500 letter.

--

Dave Peterson