Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel 07

have a text file that is a little over 250,000 lines and will be 13 columns
wide. I can open the whole file in excel but if I try and import it using ,
as a delimiter to put all the text in the right columns it says file is to
large for on sheet. and will not let me import the whole file. any one have
a solution so i can import the entire file? or have any suggestion why this
is happening?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I succeeded doing this with a 3 column, 270000 line text file. I'll try it
with your file if you want to zip it up and send it to me.

--
Jim
"jason2444" wrote in message
| have a text file that is a little over 250,000 lines and will be 13
columns
| wide. I can open the whole file in excel but if I try and import it using
,
| as a delimiter to put all the text in the right columns it says file is to
| large for on sheet. and will not let me import the whole file. any one
have
| a solution so i can import the entire file? or have any suggestion why
this
| is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like it is running in compatibility mode. Look at the top of the
Excel window when you have the Excel file you are trying to pull the data
into open - if it says filename.xls [Compatibility Mode] then you'll know
for sure. In that mode it is limiting sheet size by Excel 2003 rules (64K x
255).

Start a new workbook - it should then say 'Book1' without the [Compatibility
Mode] notice and you should be able to import the data.

"jason2444" wrote:

have a text file that is a little over 250,000 lines and will be 13 columns
wide. I can open the whole file in excel but if I try and import it using ,
as a delimiter to put all the text in the right columns it says file is to
large for on sheet. and will not let me import the whole file. any one have
a solution so i can import the entire file? or have any suggestion why this
is happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your workbook is already formatted up, you can also do this:
Use Save As to save a copy of the file in one of the Excel 2007 formats,
then close the file and open the new copy of it. It should open in native
Excel 2007 mode, not compatibility mode.