Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Reading in poorly formatted text file

I need to take data from a report in a txt format and enter it into excel.
The portion of the report I'm interested in looks like this:

3532 10:10 12:15 310
13:22 14:19
14:37 15:18 449

2312 09:01 09:32
10:22 11:11 543
13:12 14:20 310

The data I'd need is any row with data in the 4th column but I need to know
the number in the first column too. The problem is, the way the data is
grouped the rows won't all have data in that first column. In the example
above, I'd need to somehow note that the 3rd row is valid data and is
associated with the value 3532. And, the last 2 rows are associated with a
value of 2312.

There are many other rows in the report that I don't care about. If rows 2
and 3 had 3532 in them in that first position and the last 2 rows had 2312
in that first position I'd have no problem.I have no idea how to do this.
Anybody else?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

[...]

Here's one way.

With your data in columns A-D, enter these formulas.
In E1: =A1
In E2: =IF(A2="",E1,A2)

Then copy E2 down as far as needed.

Then you can select column D and use
Data Filter Autofilter (Nonblanks)
to view only the rows you care about. The associated first-column value is
in column E. (Hiding column A might avoid confusion.)

Adapt to suit your needs.