Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default question on SUMPRODUCT ??

One way (array-entered: CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

=INDEX(C1:C5,MATCH("green Apple"&"California",A1:A5&B1:B5,FALSE))

In article ,
"SAM SEBAIHI" wrote:

The following works perfectly when I have numbers as shown below.
=SUMPRODUCT(MAX((A1:A5="Apple")*(B1:B5="California ")*(C1:C5)))

A B C
Apple California $10
Orange California $5
Apple Florida $28
Orange Texas $5
Apple California $22

What if I have character instead of numbers. How would I do it?
as shown:
A B C
Apple California good
Orange California ok
madarine Florida Excellen
red Apple Texas expensive
green Apple California very expensive

if green apple and california were searched, then the result will be very
expensive. I don't want to sort these to use vlookup nor I want to use VB.
Is there a way?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more...

If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a
third), you could use:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)*(b2=othersheet !$b$1:$b$100),0))

(all in one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
*(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=INDEX(C1:C5,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Green
Apple"&"California",A1:A5&B1:B5)),0))

Array formula you have to commit with ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

or

=INDEX(C1:C5,MATCH("Green Apple"&"California",INDEX(A1:A5&B1:B5,0),0))

none array formula just hit enter