Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jkl jkl is offline

Default Conditional Formatting In and Across Sheets

Thanks Bob.

I'm actually just referring to a cell rather than a range . . .

The condition is basically:

=AND(M$2=$E7,M$2<=$F7) where E7 and F7 each contain a date

But if I try to use that condition to refer to e7 and f7 in a different
sheet, I'm not allowed to do it . . .

Therein lies my dilemma.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

It is allowed, but any range that you refer to on another sheet must be
referenced by way of a named range (InsertNameDefine...).

--
---
HTH

Bob

"jkl" wrote in message
My version of Excel informs me that condtional formatting across
worksheets
is not allowed. Is that the case for the latest versions of Excel as
well?
If so, does anyone have a handy way of getting around this limitation? I
am
trying to use dates in one worksheet to allow me to generate a gantt chart
in
another worksheet. The best I can do at this point is copy the date info
from the first sheet into the second sheet and then do conditional
formatting
within the second sheet. I'd just as soon avoid having the date columns
in
the second sheet since the gantt charts will display the dates. In
addition, when doing the conditional formatting, the cells keep displaying
the result (TRUE or FALSE). This makes the gantt chart look pretty silly.
Any way I can tell Excel not to make the result visible but still provide
the
format requested (in this case, color shading). THANKS!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

"jkl" wrote:
.. =AND(M$2=$E7,M$2<=$F7) where E7 and F7 each contain a date
But if I try to use that condition to refer to e7 and f7 in a different
sheet, I'm not allowed to do it . . .

You could also try INDIRECT, something along these lines ..

Assuming E7 and F7 are in Sheet2,
use as the CF formula (in say, Sheet1):

=AND(M$2=INDIRECT("'Sheet2'!E7"),M$2<=INDIRECT("' Sheet2'!F7"),INDIRECT("'Sheet2'!E7")<"",INDIRECT( "'Sheet2'!F7")<"")

Above contains 2 additional checks to ensure that E7 and F7 in Sheet2 are
not blank. These will help to prevent false indications caused by blank
cells.
--
Max
Singapore