Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default IF(?) logic question

A1 - Jones B1 Y
A2 Smith B2 Y
A3 Doe B3 N
A4 Murphy B4 Y

Let's say I want to search for "Doe", and if I find one then I want to
change the entry in column B to "Y". If column A is not "Doe", however, I
want to leave column B as is. What kind of a logic statement leaves the B
field as is if the condition in the row A is not met?

Tried a lot of things - no joy.
Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

Formulas can't "push" data to any cells. You don't want to use an IF structure to update
the table. Usually, folks sort the table on column A to make it easier to find the row
desired, then manually update it. Be careful sorting.

--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com
"Dave" wrote in message ...
A1 - Jones B1 Y
A2 Smith B2 Y
A3 Doe B3 N
A4 Murphy B4 Y

Let's say I want to search for "Doe", and if I find one then I want to change the entry
in column B to "Y". If column A is not "Doe", however, I want to leave column B as is.
What kind of a logic statement leaves the B field as is if the condition in the row A is
not met?

Tried a lot of things - no joy.
Thx
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried putting a formula like this in C1:
=IF(A1="Doe","Y",B1)
and copying it down the column? This should give you the results
you're looking for. It doesn't have the "search" component though (I'm
not sure what you mean by that). I put things in column C since it's
not possible to have a self-referencing formula, a formula in B that
will change the value in B depending on the current contents of B. You
can do that with a VBA macro, however, if that's the effect you're
after

= Marchand =