RWN

Default Download MS Template error

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated errors
....close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson

You may want to post the link to the template to make it easier for others to
try it.

And if you only tried it once, try it again. ("If it only happened once, it
didn't really happen" is my general rule with computers!)

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson
Gord Dibben

Dave/Rob

I found the template at the gallery and it downloaded OK for me.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...977871033.aspx

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

RWN

That's the one.
Where does it download to? I get a "Downloading message" with a progress bar, but nothing
saying where it's going.
Then Excel fires up but, at the point it wants to load it, it goes "boom".

As I said, this is the 1st time I've tried this.

--
Regards;
Rob

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson

It opened in excel directly for me.

It's only about 20k. If you want an emailed version, just share your email
address.

Munge it a little like Gord does with his.

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson
RWN

Thanks, but It's got me intrigued (means I'm probably going to hurt myself!).
I attempted to download it on my wife's XP m/c and rec'd an error message that it couldn't
install the Active-X component and allowed me to manually download the .cab file and
extract it myself.
I did not receive the message on my w2kPro m/c.

Looking at the w2k m/c I am wondering about an anomaly that I've had for quite some time
but never bothered to fix.
When I open Excel (2k) I get a blank screen and have to hit the "New" button to display a
blank worksheet. I've lived with this for a long time. I *think* it started when I made a
custom "Book" and "Sheet". I've gotten used to it but would like to fix it, thinking that
it may be related to the template download problem(?).
I've gone over the help but to no avail. The Book & Sheet xlt's are in the (default)
XLSTART directory. I have an alternate startup directory as well that has an xls file
(that starts hidden) with my utility macro's in it .
Excel simply refuses to open the "Book" workbook on its own.

Any ideas?

--
Regards;
Rob

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated

errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I think I'd move those hidden workbooks from your alternate startup folder into
your XLStart folder. (maybe even make them addins--if you have another way of
running the macros.)

I didn't test this.

I have book.xlt, sheet.xlt and personal.xla in my XLStart (nothing in the
alternate file location box) and I get a book1 when I start excel.

(xl2k, xl2002, and xl2003)

(and IIRC, xl97 worked that way, too.)

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated

errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
RWN

Bingo! That did it.
The blank workbook opened after I moved my macro book out of the way.

Talk about timing, I checked for a reply just as I was reading this;

From "Sharing your user-defined functions among workbooks and users
by Sean Kavanagh"
"There's a caveat to adding workbooks to the startup folder. If Excel finds files other
than Personal.xls in the startup folder, it won't display a blank worksheet as you're used
to. This is true even if the workbooks are hidden when opened, which means you'll likely
be presented with a blank workspace when Excel opens."

Unfortunately, even though I'm a better person for this research, it did not fix my
download problem.

I'm wondering if it's a security thing-guess I'll keep playing.

Thanks for your time.
--

RWN wrote:

Off2k(sp-3)/Win2kPro
AVG (free), MSAS (Beta).

Attempted to download a template (Blood Sugar Chart) from MS.
Progressed to the point of initiating Excel then rec'd a "Excel has generated

errors
...close...error log" message.
This is the 1st time I've attempted this.

Regards;
Rob

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben

Control PanelInternet OptionsSecurity.

Make sure you are able to download and run signed activex controls.

I keep mine set to "prompt" rather than "enable" just so's I know when one is
being offered.

You will have to d/l an activex control in order to load the template.

Gord

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:41:52 -0600, "RWN" wrote:

Bingo! That did it.
The blank workbook opened after I moved my macro book out of the way.

Talk about timing, I checked for a reply just as I was reading this;

From "Sharing your user-defined functions among workbooks and users
by Sean Kavanagh"
"There's a caveat to adding workbooks to the startup folder. If Excel finds files other
than Personal.xls in the startup folder, it won't display a blank worksheet as you're used
to. This is true even if the workbooks are hidden when opened, which means you'll likely
be presented with a blank workspace when Excel opens."

Unfortunately, even though I'm a better person for this research, it did not fix my
download problem.

I'm wondering if it's a security thing-guess I'll keep playing.

Thanks for your time.

RWN

Gord;
I'm set up that way (Prompt to download/run signed activex).
I tried an re-registration (unreg/reg) which usually clears up any probs that I have w/xl.
No go.

The 1st time I ran it I got the EULA.
Since then I don't get that (if that is any hint(?)).

I'm thinking that the prob lies with xl as it attempts to start (gets the splash screen,
does its virus checking etc), then, when it gets to the point of opening the template it
crashes.

I manually downloaded it from the site using my wife's xp m/c (it gave me the instructions
when it couldn't download the activex) and transferred it to my w2k m/c and it runs ok.
Seems like it didn't have a problem with the control, at least it didn't complain.

While not the end of the world I'm disappointed that I can't figure it out (and it's
making my glucose go up!).

--
Regards;
Rob
Control PanelInternet OptionsSecurity.

Make sure you are able to download and run signed activex controls.

I keep mine set to "prompt" rather than "enable" just so's I know when one is
being offered.

You will have to d/l an activex control in order to load the template.

Gord

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:41:52 -0600, "RWN" wrote:

Bingo! That did it.
The blank workbook opened after I moved my macro book out of the way.

Talk about timing, I checked for a reply just as I was reading this;

From "Sharing your user-defined functions among workbooks and users
by Sean Kavanagh"
"There's a caveat to adding workbooks to the startup folder. If Excel finds files other
than Personal.xls in the startup folder, it won't display a blank worksheet as you're

used
to. This is true even if the workbooks are hidden when opened, which means you'll

likely
be presented with a blank workspace when Excel opens."

Unfortunately, even though I'm a better person for this research, it did not fix my
download problem.

I'm wondering if it's a security thing-guess I'll keep playing.

Thanks for your time.

Gord Dibben

Dave

We Type 2's have enough problems looking after our blood glucose levels with
out checking our "blook" pressure also<g

Gord

RWN wrote:

[...]

Debra Dalgleish

In Dave's defence -- it seems to be a pretty common ailment <g:

http://www.google.com/search?q=+%22blook+pressure%22

RWN wrote:

[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

RWN

We Type 2's have enough problems looking after our blood glucose levels with
out checking our "blook" pressure also<g

Guess you'd check it with a "Glookometer".

Still no luck but I'm starting to wonder about the common elements between the w2k & XP
m/c's.
While my w2k did not give me any errors about the dl, just crashed, and XP told me it
couldn't install the activex it would indicate something else at play.
Both m/c's run AVG (free) and MSAS (beta).

I've go to admit that running all this stuff leaves me in a quandary as to what's
controlling what, not to mention that I seem to spend all my time updating virus
definitions etc.

--
Regards;
(A1c 6.5 and holding)