Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dates

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To enter the date/time in column C whenever data is entered in column B

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Columns("B:B")) Is Nothing Then
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Now()
End If
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

'For one cell use
'If Target.Address = "$B$3" Then

'For a range use
'If Not Application.Intersect(Range("A1:A10"), Target) Is Nothing Then

This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code".

Copy/paste the above into that sheet module.

Adjust to suit or post back with some more specifics about where you want the
date entered.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:31:00 -0800, Ms. Beasley <Ms.
wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What I've been asked to do is create a shared log sheet that will allow users
to click in a blank cell that will automatically populate today's date and
then lock the cell. Then tomorrow when it is opened it will still show the
date of yesterday's entry into the log sheet. I am not proficient at Excel
at all!!! Thanks so much!!

"Ms. Beasley" wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ms Beasley

Many features are unavailable in Shared Workbooks.

See Help on "shared workbook" for a list.

Changing protection/locking/unlocking cell is one of these features not
available.

What you want to do can easily be done on a non-shared workbook using event
code.

Gord

"Ms. Beasley" wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Through what?

The event code for a non-shared worksheet?

NOTE: will not work on a Shared Workbook as I said earlier.

1. Select column A and any other range you want unlocked.
2. FormatCellsProtection uncheck the "locked" box.
3. Widen column A to about 16 minimum.

Select the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy/paste this code into that sheet
module.

Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target _
As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
For Each cell In Target
If cell.Value = "" Then
With cell
.Value = Now
.Locked = True
End With
End If
Next
Cancel = True
End If
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"
End Sub

Double-click on any blank cell in column A and get the date/time entered and
cell locked so timestamp cannot be changed.

Does not affect protection on other unlocked cells.

"justme" can be any password you choose.

You will of course want to lock the code from prying eyes so..........

Alt + F11 to open Visual Basic Editor.

Select your workbook/project and right-clickVBAProject
PropertiesProtectionLock for Viewing. Apply a password and save/close the
workbook.

When re-opened, code will be unviewable or uneditable.

Gord

"Ms. Beasley" wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks and good luck

Gord

"Ms. Beasley" wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Change If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Then

If Target.Cells.Column = 1 Or Target.Cells.Column = 8 Then

BTW.........this is not a "formula" but lines of VBA code, more commonly

referred to as a "macro" or "routine"

In this case the code is "event code" which runs when some event takes place.

Gord

"Ms. Beasley" wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is the next thing they want me to do. Column 9 is an
"approved/rejected" field. When it is populated how can I get column 10 to
populate with a date that can't altered? Once again, I really appreciate
your help!!!

"Ms. Beasley" wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With a different type of event code.

Make sure Column 9(I) is unlocked as were A and H columns unlocked for data
entry.

Then copy/paste this to the sheet module. See it is change event code, not
double-click. Requires entering something into the cell.

On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 9 Then
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
For Each cell In Target
If cell.Value < "" Then
With cell.Offset(0, 1)
.Value = Now
.Locked = True
End With
End If
Next
End If
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"
End Sub

NOTE: multiple types of event code can go into one module as long as no two are
the same type of event.

Gord

On Fri, 9 Feb 2007 12:16:00 -0800, Ms. Beasley
wrote:

Here is the next thing they want me to do. Column 9 is an
"approved/rejected" field. When it is populated how can I get column 10 to
populate with a date that can't altered? Once again, I really appreciate
your help!!!

<snipped for brevity
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That worked great. If I want to do the same thing to columns F, I and L can
I use the "or" and copy and this statement "Application.Intersect(Target,
Columns("B:B"))"? Thanks so much!!

wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this one.

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
If Intersect(Range(Target(1).Address), _
Range("B:B, F:F, I:I, L:L")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Now()
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Gord

wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This version may be better.

Checks for blank cells.

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
If Intersect(Range(Target(1).Address), _
Range("B:B, F:F, I:I, L:L")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Value < "" Then

wrote:

I'm trying to do a worksheet that will autotmatically enter "today's date" in
a field but will not update when the spreadsheet is opened tomorrow. Can
anybody help me with this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a similar request but wanted the code to work on the entire column. I
used the code you suggested and it put a date stamp on the first cell I
entered data into but then stopped after that. I need it to be able to do it
for the entire column so if I enter data in cell E4 for example, i need a
stamp at F4 and then data into E5, i need a stamp at F5. Thanks.

wrote:

Here is the next thing they want me to do. Column 9 is an
"approved/rejected" field. When it is populated how can I get column 10 to
populate with a date that can't altered? Once again, I really appreciate
your help!!!

<snipped for brevity

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Change Column = 9 to Column = 5 in the code below and it should be good to go
for all of Column E

Just make sure columns E and F are unlocked before you Protect the worksheet.

Gord

wrote:

Here is the next thing they want me to do. Column 9 is an
"approved/rejected" field. When it is populated how can I get column 10 to
populate with a date that can't altered? Once again, I really appreciate
your help!!!

<snipped for brevity

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did that before I made the previous post and it would only post the date by
the first cell I entered data into. After that, there would be no dates
posted automatically.

wrote:

Here is the next thing they want me to do. Column 9 is an
"approved/rejected" field. When it is populated how can I get column 10 to
populate with a date that can't altered? Once again, I really appreciate
your help!!!

<snipped for brevity

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Error GoTo enditall
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Cells.Column = 5 Or Target.Cells.Column = 8 Or
Target.Cells.Column = 11 Then
ActiveSheet.Unprotect Password:="justme"
For Each cell In Target
If cell.Value < "" Then
With cell.Offset(0, 1)
.Value = Now
.Locked = True
End With
End If
Next
End If
enditall:
Application.EnableEvents = True
'ActiveSheet.Protect Password:="justme"
End Sub

I figured out my previous problem but now I want the cells that the dates
were inserted into to be locked but not having the entire sheet locked.
Thats why I put the ' in the second to last line of code. Is there any way I
can lock certain cells that have the date inserted into? For example, having
the cells in column 6 be locked after the date has appeared on the
spreadsheet.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Change Column = 9 to Column = 5 in the code below and it should be good to go
for all of Column E

Just make sure columns E and F are unlocked before you Protect the worksheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The bad news is that you can lock any old cell you want to. But it really won't
mean much to the user until you protect the sheet. If the sheet is unprotected,
the user can do anything he/she wants to any cell--whether it's locked or
unlocked.

An alternative to your _change event:

Option Explicit

Dim myRng As Range
Dim myCell As Range

Set myRng = Intersect(Target, Me.Range("e:e,h:h,k:k"))
If myRng Is Nothing Then
Exit Sub
End If

On Error GoTo EndItAll:
For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
If myCell.Value < "" Then
With myCell.Offset(0, 1)
.Value = Now
.Locked = True
End With
End If
Next myCell

EndItAll:
Application.EnableEvents = True
Me.Protect Password:="justme"

End Sub

On Error GoTo enditall

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Change Column = 9 to Column = 5 in the code below and it should be good to go
for all of Column E

Just make sure columns E and F are unlocked before you Protect the worksheet.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You cannot have any cells locked without protecting the worksheet.

You can format them as locked but won't be until you do the protection step.

See Dave's response for good info and some new code.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Error GoTo enditall