Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Macros and 'Hotlinks'

An electrical monitoring device has a hotlink to excel and continually
updates the data in a particular cell, we are trying to create a spreadsheet
that will record that output every 5 mins and paste it into a table.

I created a table to record the data and a macro that will identify when to
copy the data into the table.

Unfortunately the hotlink stops updating as soon as the macro starts
running, and we need them to run together. Is this possible?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks,

I've tried to use it but I must be doing something wrong as I can't seem to
make it run continually in the backround.

I have to keep manually running the macro it each time I want it to record
the data (the OnTime method just delays when I get the data).

I want it to run the procedure, wait 5 mins then run it again and then
again, until I close the program. And let the hotlink operate at the same
time.

Helen

"galimi" wrote:

Helen,

You can use the onTime method for keeping the macro running and ensuring
that the hotlink 'feed' has not stopped.
--
http://HelpExcel.com

"Helen" wrote:

An electrical monitoring device has a hotlink to excel and continually
updates the data in a particular cell, we are trying to create a spreadsheet
that will record that output every 5 mins and paste it into a table.

I created a table to record the data and a macro that will identify when to
copy the data into the table.

Unfortunately the hotlink stops updating as soon as the macro starts
running, and we need them to run together. Is this possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"Helen" wrote:

An electrical monitoring device has a hotlink to excel and continually
updates the data in a particular cell, we are trying to create a spreadsheet
that will record that output every 5 mins and paste it into a table.

I created a table to record the data and a macro that will identify when to
copy the data into the table.

Unfortunately the hotlink stops updating as soon as the macro starts
running, and we need them to run together. Is this possible?- Hide quoted text -

If you put the onTime method in a loop then it will repeat the code
every five minutes rather than just delaying it for that long.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Gavin,

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm quite new at this.

I've come up with this (at 1 min intervals) to test my code, but the next x
loop doesn't work. It goes to End Sub. I've tried using Wait but that just
stops excel running altogether.

For x = ("16:32:00") To ("16:35:00")

Application.OnTime (x + TimeValue("00:01:00")), "ContinuouslyUpdating"

x = x + TimeValue("00:01:00")

Next x

Where am I going wrong?