Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default HOW TO WRITE A HELP FILE FOR EXCEL97

DEAR ALL
For my ship cargo loading, i have written various options and so many
sheets and links. Any new cargo officer gets puzzled and confused
where to go and what to click. In access the tool tip was great help.
For example, they have to methodically go step by step and i have
written it down. Still they miss out some steps and results are
disastrous. Short clue is - if u first dont update sheet1 then sheet
12 answers will b wrong and canot use it for stability and so on.

So pls advice me how to go about writing a detail help file to pop up
when they click f1 when they use my fuly automate excelsheet and also
is there anyway to halt them from going haphazardly -- like a
separate sub procedure to keep tracking by giving a reference number
and logging it in cells as a cross check and to continue if the
reference numbers tally. I even thought of a check list form with
option buttons so that for each operaion of command buttons they have
to first go and complete the said steps. Pls adv.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Captngnvr,

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site and check out all the info
on Data Validation.
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Also you may be able to utilise the comments function in Excel.

To be honest it sounds like you really should be redesigning your
worksheets to make them (much) more user friendly. What you are
attempting to do still sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

HTH
Martin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Feb 4, 6:29 pm, "MartinW" wrote:
Hi Captngnvr,

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site and check out all the info
on Data Validation.http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Also you may be able to utilise the comments function in Excel.

To be honest it sounds like you really should be redesigning your
worksheets to make them (much) more user friendly. What you are
attempting to do still sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

HTH
Martin

Thank you Martin-- I will see the site u sugested. I do agree to
redesign but the multi faceted requirement makes it very complicated,
like the tanks assigned will change, the stability will change, etc
too many variable factors and to top it all we will also have loading
and discharging for which each time differnt calculations altogether.
Now i am going to the site and check it out and thanks for the link.