Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default time format

when calculationing time, excel shows negative
time as "########", is there a way to change this default so the cell is
blank instead?

any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Lee Lee is offline

On Feb 2, 7:27 pm, ffjerm wrote:
when calculationing time, excel shows negative
time as "########", is there a way to change this default so the cell is
blank instead?

any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

If, for example, the time is in cell A1, this equation will display
nothing when it is negative:

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Simply replace 'A1' in this equation with the function or calculation
you are using to arrive at the time, and it will display nothing for
any negative time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lee

Goto toolsoptionsCalculation tabCheck 1904 date system. Be careful this
will display negative time but it will also change all other dates to be off
4 years and one day (I think). If this is not an issue then this should work
for you.

Mike Rogers

"Lee" wrote:

On Feb 2, 7:27 pm, ffjerm wrote:
when calculationing time, excel shows negative
time as "########", is there a way to change this default so the cell is
blank instead?

any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

If, for example, the time is in cell A1, this equation will display
nothing when it is negative:

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Simply replace 'A1' in this equation with the function or calculation
you are using to arrive at the time, and it will display nothing for
any negative time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What if I wanted a negative time to show instead of a blank cell? Excel
doesn't like to have negative times or dates, but I'm subtracting
minutes:seconds... and it won't do negatives.

"Lee" wrote:

On Feb 2, 7:27 pm, ffjerm wrote:
when calculationing time, excel shows negative
time as "########", is there a way to change this default so the cell is
blank instead?

any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

If, for example, the time is in cell A1, this equation will display
nothing when it is negative:

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Simply replace 'A1' in this equation with the function or calculation
you are using to arrive at the time, and it will display nothing for
any negative time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you change to the 1904 date system, you can show negative times.

In xl2003:
tools|Options|calculation tab|check 1904 date system.

Be aware that any existing date will now be off by 4 years and 1 day. And
copying dates between workbooks becomes a problem, too.

Saved from a previous post:

One workbook was using a base year of 1900 and the other was using 1904.
(tools|options|calculation tab|1904 date system)

One way to add those four years back is to find an empty cell, put 1462 into
that cell.

Copy that cell.

Select your range that contains the dates. Edit|PasteSpecial|click Add (in the
operation box).

You may have to reformat the cell as a date (mine turned to a 5 digit number).
But it should work.

You may want to do it against a copy...just in case.

(I'm not sure which one you'll fix. You may want to edit|pastespecial|click
subtract.)

Most windows users use 1900 as the base date. Mac users (mostly??) use 1904 as
the base date.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nevermind - I found this, thanks Stefi!
Try 1904 type date format:
Tools/Options/Calculation tab/(bottom left corner)
Stefi

"Lee" wrote:

On Feb 2, 7:27 pm, ffjerm wrote:
when calculationing time, excel shows negative
time as "########", is there a way to change this default so the cell is
blank instead?

any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks

If, for example, the time is in cell A1, this equation will display
nothing when it is negative:

=IF(A10,A1,"")

Simply replace 'A1' in this equation with the function or calculation
you are using to arrive at the time, and it will display nothing for
any negative time.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh funny. I found that exact solution and then you sent it to me at the same
time. Thanks for your help!