Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula entry using "+" causing format errors

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?
--
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't use a + sign. Positive 547 divided by positive 5 need only be entered
as =547/7.

For negative numbers, you DO need to enter the sign: =-547/-7 etc.

Dave

"Steve" wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?
--
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I had to try this for myself
never would believe it otherwise.

odd, but of course +123/6 is usually entered as =123/6

so I can only assume its treating the + as some sort of accounting code.

odd bearing in mind accounting doesn't usually invlove fractions :)

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 14:54:00 -0000, Steve
wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?

--
Steve (3)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I should also ask, what version of Excel are you using, AND what is the
format of the cell when you first enter the formula.

In my copy of Excel (2003 or 2007) just starting with a new book, entering
either
=547/5
or
+547/5
or
=+547/5
results in Excel correcting my 'errors' and displaying a result of 109.4 in
all cases.
And in the cases where I entered +547/5 or =+547/5, Excel changed them both
to become =547/5

"Steve" wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?
--
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try setting format to accounting before entering +547/5 or even =547/5

Steve

"Steve" wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get
strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try it with = then - same thing

Steve

"Steve" wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get
strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try it
it converts to fraction fomat even if you type =547/

Steve

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:07:08 -0000, Dave F
wrote:

Don't use a + sign. Positive 547 divided by positive 5 need only be
entered
as =547/7.

For negative numbers, you DO need to enter the sign: =-547/-7 etc.

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if this was a test 3 posters have failed so far.
they aren't reading all of your post :)

It must be something to do with the Accounting format
the leading + or = isn't needed

1/1 would give 01-Jan, but here it doesn't
so it must be to allow fraction input
can't find anything about it though

Steve

wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Odd.

Why would you ever put a + sign in front of a formula? I can only see a
need for putting a - sign in front of a formula, either to negate a positive
number or to make positive a negative number.

Dave

wrote:

Don't use a + sign. Positive 547 divided by positive 5 need only be
entered
as =547/7.

For negative numbers, you DO need to enter the sign: =-547/-7 etc.

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What exactly are you doing?

I set the cell format to Accounting, then entered =100/2. Result: $50.

Last I checked this was correct. Is there some new math I'm unaware of?

"Steve" wrote:

When I enter a division formula by starting with a + sign. I get
strange
formating results.

1. enter the formula "+547/5" in a cell
2. change the format of that cell to accounting
3. reenter the formula

The format gets changed to a fraction and the formula is converted to a
number.

What's happening?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

in fact you don't even need the +
just enter 1/4

which would normally be a date

Again can't see why Accounting would want 1/4 to go in as fraction
*and* change the format of the cell to Fraction

Steve

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:31:01 -0000, Dave F
wrote:

Odd.

Why would you ever put a + sign in front of a formula? I can only see a
need for putting a - sign in front of a formula, either to negate a
positive
number or to make positive a negative number.

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

new workbook
a1
Format cell as Accounting
enter 5
result £5.00

enter 1/4
result
1/4
and format of cell changes

enter 5
result 5

Im on Excel 2000

Steve

On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:32:02 -0000, Dave F
wrote:

What exactly are you doing?

I set the cell format to Accounting, then entered =100/2. Result: $50.

Last I checked this was correct. Is there some new math I'm unaware of?

--
Steve (3)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Guys, thanks for the input. I'm using Office 2003.

I understand the proper way to enter the formula is starting with =. I just
could not believe the result.

You have confirmed it's not just me and my computer's not haunted. I think
this has something to do with Excel's transition functions.

In any case, I can easily avoid the poblem. Thanks again
-
Steve