Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default inverse matrices

does anyone know how to do inverse matrices in excel
Mine is 36X36
I want to see the inverse of each number 36X36
Thanks
Chey

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, Chey!
You wrote on Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:42:14 -0800:

C "David Biddulph" wrote:

?? Have you looked at the MINVERSE function?
?? --
?? David Biddulph
??
?? "Chey" wrote in message
?? ...
?? does anyone know how to do inverse matrices in excel
?? Mine is 36X36
?? I want to see the inverse of each number 36X36

It's an array calculation and you will have to select a suitable
size matrix to hold the inverse. I take it that it's not the
reciprocal of each element that you want.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have been looking at the example excel gives and I can not seem to get it
to work
They say and what I did is typed in the numbers
4 -1
2 0

Then I put in my aray =minverse(a2:b3) it comes up with 0
so that matches

then i select A5:b6 then I pressed f2 but when i do ctrl shift and enter
all together it does not do anything. That is where my problem is coming in.
thanks
chey

C "David Biddulph" wrote:

?? Have you looked at the MINVERSE function?
?? --
?? David Biddulph
??
?? "Chey" wrote in message
?? ...
?? does anyone know how to do inverse matrices in excel
?? Mine is 36X36
?? I want to see the inverse of each number 36X36

It's an array calculation and you will have to select a suitable
size matrix to hold the inverse. I take it that it's not the
reciprocal of each element that you want.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chey wrote...
I have been looking at the example excel gives and I can not seem to get it
to work
They say and what I did is typed in the numbers
4 -1
2 0

Say this were in A2:B3. Next select A5:B6. With A5:B6 selected, type

=MINVERSE(A2:B3)

hold down a [Ctrl] key and a [Shift] key and press [Enter]. On my
system this fills A5:B6 with a single array formula which returns

0 0.5
-1 2

in each cell, i.e., 0 in A5, 0.5 in B5, -1 in A6 and 2 in B6.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chey -

Try this (following most of your example, except where you may have erred).

Enter the numbers in A2:B3.

Select cells A5:B6, and type =minverse(a2:b3) but don't press Enter.

Instead, hold down Control and Shift while you press Enter.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com

C "David Biddulph" wrote:

?? Have you looked at the MINVERSE function?
?? --
?? David Biddulph
??
?? ...