Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default cell conversions

I need to know how to make a spreadsheet work for what I need:

If in C2 I type SE3 or SE2 or SE1 and so forth, then I need E2 to = a number
that correlates to each of the SE3, SE2 or SE1.

Can anyone help?????????
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want to extract the 1,2,or 3 from SE1,SE2,or SE3 ? then use
=--RIGHT(C2,1)
If there could be more than one digit (as in SE1234) then use
=--MID(C2,3,LEN(C2)-2)
The double negation in each formula is to convert text to number
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"kpruitt" wrote in message
I need to know how to make a spreadsheet work for what I need:

If in C2 I type SE3 or SE2 or SE1 and so forth, then I need E2 to = a
number
that correlates to each of the SE3, SE2 or SE1.

Can anyone help?????????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=C2

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"kpruitt" wrote:

I need to know how to make a spreadsheet work for what I need:

If in C2 I type SE3 or SE2 or SE1 and so forth, then I need E2 to = a number
that correlates to each of the SE3, SE2 or SE1.

Can anyone help?????????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Depending on how many combination you have you can either use LOOKUP or
VLOOKUP, if you only have a few then a LOOKUP will do. Something like this:

=LOOKUP(C2,{"SE1","SE2","SE3","SE4"},{1,2,3,4})

note: SE1, SE2...etc must in ascending order

if on the other hand you a lot of combinations then VLOOKUP would be the
choice. You start by creating a talbe with the first column containing the
SE1, SE2...etc and the second column the assiciated numbers (1,2...etc in
this example) then the formula would look something like this:

=VLOOKUP(C2,your_table_range,2,0)

Hope this helps!
Jean-Guy

"kpruitt" wrote:

I need to know how to make a spreadsheet work for what I need:

If in C2 I type SE3 or SE2 or SE1 and so forth, then I need E2 to = a number
that correlates to each of the SE3, SE2 or SE1.

Can anyone help?????????

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the IF statement in E2:

=IF(C2="SE3",57,IF(C2="SE2",37,IF(C2="SE1",99,"")) )

--
Gary's Student
gsnu200703