Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dave Peterson

I have been reading your posts on the Office Excel forums and am very
impressed with your knowledge. I would like you opinion on a project that I
am working on. We are installing a program onto our pcs nationwide and want
to track which machines get the program. I thought that I could use a check
box in the cell so that I could just check the ones the that have it
installed. This is how I came across your postings. I tried the checkbox
but it caused me to get an out of memory error. I have about 2000 lines. Is
there something that I am doing wrong? Is this because each check box is a
space on memory in VB? Should I even use a checkbox format? Should I be
using Access?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This may or may not help - but if you want to just "count" the ones who have
it and subtract from the total, try this.

make a column that you can just insert a simple text "X". That's your counter
At the bottom use =count( ) put the full range in here.
It will then only count the "X"'s and not the blank spaces.
If you do this on some other column that has to be filled in, then you'll
have two counts. One - the account totals and two - the "X" that shows which
have the upgrade.
Subtract the two and you have the difference.
You can also sort by the "X" and see who has/has not.

yes/no/maybe
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree with almost everything Danny wrote <bg.

But I'd use =counta(a1:a100) or =countif(a1:a100,"x") to count those x's.

And to the OP: If you use the checkbox from the Forms toolbar, you may find
that you have fewer problems--those seem better behaved.

I don't speak access, so I don't know if that would be better.

--

Dave Peterson