Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating Time * Rate

Hi,
We are still using Excel 2000 in our office and I cannot seem to be able to
get the correct formula for calulating Time (24 hour clock) times the hourly
Rate paid to employees. Their system is very outdated and still being done
by hand. I am trying to make it a little more efficient by automating some
of the tasks. However, try as I might, I can't seem to get the formula to
calculate correctly. Can you hellp me?

Thanks you so much--

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Patty,

you need to realise that Excel stores times internally as fractions of
a 24-hour day, so 12:00:00 would actually be stored internally as 0.5.
So, if you have 12 hours and multiply it by a rate, you are effectively
multiplying it by 0.5 - what you need to do is multiply by further 24,
like so:

= A1 * B1 * 24

where A1 is the hours worked (in Excel time format) and B1 is the
hourly rate.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Patty wrote:

Hi,
We are still using Excel 2000 in our office and I cannot seem to be able to
get the correct formula for calulating Time (24 hour clock) times the hourly
Rate paid to employees. Their system is very outdated and still being done
by hand. I am trying to make it a little more efficient by automating some
of the tasks. However, try as I might, I can't seem to get the formula to
calculate correctly. Can you hellp me?

Thanks you so much--

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank You Pete, it works perfectly! I am trying so hard to help them get
more automated but they still have such outdated equipment. At one time, I
was great in Excel, but have not used it in a few years! You are my hero of
the day! :-)

Patty wrote:

Hi,
We are still using Excel 2000 in our office and I cannot seem to be able to
get the correct formula for calulating Time (24 hour clock) times the hourly
Rate paid to employees. Their system is very outdated and still being done
by hand. I am trying to make it a little more efficient by automating some
of the tasks. However, try as I might, I can't seem to get the formula to
calculate correctly. Can you hellp me?

Thanks you so much--

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're welcome, Patty - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

Patty wrote:

Hi,
We are still using Excel 2000 in our office and I cannot seem to be able to
get the correct formula for calulating Time (24 hour clock) times the hourly
Rate paid to employees. Their system is very outdated and still being done
by hand. I am trying to make it a little more efficient by automating some
of the tasks. However, try as I might, I can't seem to get the formula to
calculate correctly. Can you hellp me?

Thanks you so much--- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -