Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Merging two columns, data in one

I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So A and B have Data and B has precidence ?

Create a helper column C with c1 =if(b1<"",b1,a1)

Otherwise explain what you meant with the A1 & B1

Steve

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 04:47:24 -0000, michaelberrier
wrote:

I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Column A has no data, B is populated.

I need to merge the two and preserve the data in B. Obviously, I could
do this one at a time, but I tried to expedite by merging A1 & B1, then
tried filling down by copying the merged A1 and filling down with a
Paste Special --Formats, but this gives me blank, merged cells.

Is that better?

Thanks

wrote:
I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Its 5am in the morning here, so forgive me.

By Merge you mean Cell merge A and B

Select cells A1 and B1, Format Cell - Merge
Result A1/B1 merged with value as in B1
Drag down as required.

Works for me.

Only problem is if Column A has data, but you said it was empty

Steve

wrote:
I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Insert a column to the right of B

Select B1 and C1 and merge them which preserves data from B

Select that merged cell and double-click on the format paintbrush.

Select B2 and C2 and drag down B and C as far as you wish.

Click once on paintbrush to end formatting.

Delete Column A.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 24 Jan 2007 20:47:24 -0800, "michaelberrier"
wrote:

I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

But when I drag down that way, I just end up with either empty cells or
a fill down of whatever is in A1/B1.

I need to preserve the data that is in B2, B3, so on...

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

wrote:
I need to merge two columns, A & B, and only B has data which I
obviously want to preserve.
I have tried merging A1 & B1 and doing a "Paste Special" for the rest
of the column, but it leaves me with a blank, merged cell.

How can I make this into a single column while preserving the data I
already have?

Thanks to all

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see you've got it working