HokieLawrence

Default Counting an Array based on a calculation

I have a large array of data approximately 41 columns wide by about 180 rows
deep. The columns are headed by date information (weekly) and the rows are
resources.

I would like to count values in each row based on conditions of the columns.
Specifically, I'd like to count the number of resources in each week was
above a number that changes based on different criteria for each week.

Ultimately I manually entered in a different COUNTIF function for each week,
but is there a way that I can count based on some kind of function, for
example something along these lines: COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

Hope anyone knows what the heck I'm talking about and might be able to help
me out of this jam.

Thanks,
HokieLawrence
Biff

Hi!

As near as I can tell,

COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

translates to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9))

Biff

[...]

.

HokieLawrence

Biff,

You're my hero. That works like a charm.

Now that I've got them counted, is there also a way to SUM those values if
they meet that same condition?

Also, can you explain how that works? I've never seen the (--( operation
and I'm not sure what it's making Excel do.

Thanks,
HokieLawrence

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

As near as I can tell,

COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

translates to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9))

Biff

[...]

Dave Peterson

J.E. McGimpsey explains it all at:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/doubleneg.html

HokieLawrence wrote:

Biff,

You're my hero. That works like a charm.

Now that I've got them counted, is there also a way to SUM those values if
they meet that same condition?

Also, can you explain how that works? I've never seen the (--( operation
and I'm not sure what it's making Excel do.

Thanks,
HokieLawrence

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

As near as I can tell,

COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

translates to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9))

Biff

--

Dave Peterson
Ragdyer

Dave might have overlooked the first part of the question.

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9),A1:A4)
--
HTH,

RD

HokieLawrence wrote:

Biff,

You're my hero. That works like a charm.

Now that I've got them counted, is there also a way to SUM those values

if
they meet that same condition?

Also, can you explain how that works? I've never seen the (--(

operation
and I'm not sure what it's making Excel do.

Thanks,
HokieLawrence

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

As near as I can tell,

COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

translates to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9))

Biff

[...]

Dave Peterson

Actually, I overlooked the complete thread save that last question.

Thanks for answering the real question.

HokieLawrence wrote:

Biff,

You're my hero. That works like a charm.

Now that I've got them counted, is there also a way to SUM those values

if
they meet that same condition?

Also, can you explain how that works? I've never seen the (--(

operation
and I'm not sure what it's making Excel do.

Thanks,
HokieLawrence

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

As near as I can tell,

COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

translates to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9))

Biff

[...]

lob

Ragdyer wrote:

Dave might have overlooked the first part of the question.

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9),A1:A4)
--
HTH,

RD

Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may

benefit !

HokieLawrence wrote:

Biff,

You're my hero. That works like a charm.

Now that I've got them counted, is there also a way to SUM

those values
if
they meet that same condition?

Also, can you explain how that works? I've never seen the (--(

operation
and I'm not sure what it's making Excel do.

Thanks,
HokieLawrence

"Biff" wrote:

Hi!

As near as I can tell,

COUNTIF(A1:A4,A1:A40.9*A5)

translates to:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A4A5*0.9))

Biff

[...]

Hi There

It sounds as if this is related to a question I have.
The area on my spreadsheet that I will enter whole numbers is from V9
to HB172.
A value will be entered in many columns along any given row.
For each one of these values entered, I would like to multiply that
value with a value entered in row 1 for each of the columns. The
solution will be entered in column A and added with all other solutions
in that row.
example:
a10=10 a15=15 a25=25
v1=(1*10)+(7*25) v10=1 v15=0 v25=7
q1=(2*10)+(6*15) q10=2 q15=6 q25=0
r1=(3*10) r10=3 r15=0 r25=0
s1=(5*15) s10=0 s15=5 s25=0

Any suggestions what formula and formatting to put in column 1.

Thanks in advance, Lob

Dave Peterson

It sounds like you want something like:

=SUMPRODUCT($v$1:$hb$1,v9:hb9)

as the formula in A9.

And drag down to row 172.

lob wrote:
<<snipped

[...]

lob

Thanks Dave:
This did not work. I will try to explain in a different way.
Multiply cells v10*v1, w10*w1, x10*x1, y10*x1 (and so on) hb10*hb1 and
have the sum of these values entered in a10.
Multiply cells v11*v1, w11*w1, x11*x1, y11*x1 (and so on) hb11*hb1 and
have the sum of these values entered in a11.
Multiply cells v12*v1, w12*w1, x12*x1, y12*x1 (and so on) hb12*hb1 and
have the sum of these values entered in a12.
(and so on)
(and so on)
Multiply cell v172*v1, w172*w1, x172*x1, y172*x1 (and so on) hb172*hb1
and have the sum of these values entered in a172.
I will be inserting more rows between rows 10 and 171 in the future
when required.
Is this possible to do? As you can likely tell, I am okay with basic
formulas, but get a bit lost when they get complicated.
Thanks, Lob

Dave Peterson

What happened when you used the formula? What formula did you use? And where
did you put it?

I'd try a shorter sample:

In A9:
=SUMPRODUCT($B$1:$E$1,B9:E9)
with data in columns B:E.

It worked ok for me with nontext (numbers or empty) in those cells.

lob wrote:

[...]

lob

Thanks a heap! All works great (even if I dont understand exactly whats
going on)