Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Getting a formula when typing long numbers

Why do i get 6.7e+09 in a cell when i tried to type in 6680344953? I know
that I can resolve this problem by changing the cell to text format but why
does it happen sometimes and not other times?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

6.7e+09 is 6.7*10^9, that is, scientific notation. Try widening the column
or else clicking the comma button in the formatting tool bar, to have excel
display this as a fully written out number.

Note also that calculation in XL is limited to 15 digits of precision.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"SueK" wrote:

Why do i get 6.7e+09 in a cell when i tried to type in 6680344953? I know
that I can resolve this problem by changing the cell to text format but why
does it happen sometimes and not other times?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cells formatted as "Number" will display either numbers, if the cell is wide
enough, or #'s if the cell is too narrow, where all that is necessary to
display the numbers is to make the cell wider.

Cells formatted as "General" however, will give you those scientific
notations, if your number is 12 digits or larger, no matter how wide the
column was at the start.

Simply reformat the General cells to Number to eliminate the scientific
notation.

--

HTH,

RD

"SueK" wrote in message
Why do i get 6.7e+09 in a cell when i tried to type in 6680344953? I know
that I can resolve this problem by changing the cell to text format but why
does it happen sometimes and not other times?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Regardless of how I reformat my cells, the result is the same. The number
may be converted to the original version, however, the last two digits are
always zero.
00600019600000000018 first appears as 6.0002E+17 and after reformatting it
converts to 600019600000000000.

"SueK" wrote:

Why do i get 6.7e+09 in a cell when i tried to type in 6680344953? I know
that I can resolve this problem by changing the cell to text format but why
does it happen sometimes and not other times?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unless you need that level of precision, which is extremely unlikely, use
text rather than numbers. Simply precede your entry with an apostrophe (or
pre-format the cells to Text).

Regards,
Fred.