Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default reference N change of workbook name

I have 2 excel files, one the Working/Info Details and the other Display.
All the infomation will extract from the Working/Info file by using the
following sample format.

= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]Detail'!H1

My problem is that when I change the Working/Info Details file name, the
Display file is unable to extract the infomation anymore.

How can I change the working file name and the display file will
automatically updated and point to the file with a new name.

Also is there a much better way where I can have the same result, a working
file and a display file.

Pls advice.

Thanks
vcff
where I can work with
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi vcff
You must open both file together. you must open "working_info_details.xls"
1st or you can use a vb sub Auto_Open() to open / update (open, update and
close) your files. if you can't do it inform me to give you compelete vb file

"vcff" wrote:

I have 2 excel files, one the Working/Info Details and the other Display.
All the infomation will extract from the Working/Info file by using the
following sample format.

= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]Detail'!H1

My problem is that when I change the Working/Info Details file name, the
Display file is unable to extract the infomation anymore.

How can I change the working file name and the display file will
automatically updated and point to the file with a new name.

Also is there a much better way where I can have the same result, a working
file and a display file.

Pls advice.

Thanks
vcff
where I can work with

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

tnks for the reply "Ashkan"

sorry that I may not have given a more clearer pic.

Firstly, the two files, "working_info_details.xls" N "display.xls" contains
info for the year 2006. For the year 2007, I need a new/blank file where I
can input the info and will show in the :display.xls" file.

My intention is to clear the datas in the "working_info_details.xls" and
rename it as "working_info_details_2007.xls" N "display.xls" as
"display_2007.xls" rather than creating all over again (big file as for a
year).

However, under the "display_2007.xls", the formula still point to the old
file "working_info_details.xls". How can I correct it so that the
"details_2007.xls" will extract info from the new file
"working_info_details_2007.xls".

The formula in the "details_2007.xls" still remain as follow:
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]Detail'!H1

Correct formula should be as follow:
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details_2007.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details_2007.xls]Detail'!H1

Please help.
Thanks
vcff

"vcff" wrote:

I have 2 excel files, one the Working/Info Details and the other Display.
All the infomation will extract from the Working/Info file by using the
following sample format.

= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]Detail'!H1

My problem is that when I change the Working/Info Details file name, the
Display file is unable to extract the infomation anymore.

How can I change the working file name and the display file will
automatically updated and point to the file with a new name.

Also is there a much better way where I can have the same result, a working
file and a display file.

Pls advice.

Thanks
vcff
where I can work with

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can use Replace (ctrl+H).
1- click option.
2- Replace C:\project\[working_info_details.xls] With

"vcff" wrote:

I have 2 excel files, one the Working/Info Details and the other Display.
All the infomation will extract from the Working/Info file by using the
following sample format.

= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]Detail'!H1

My problem is that when I change the Working/Info Details file name, the
Display file is unable to extract the infomation anymore.

How can I change the working file name and the display file will
automatically updated and point to the file with a new name.

Also is there a much better way where I can have the same result, a working
file and a display file.

Pls advice.

Thanks
vcff
where I can work with

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

if your replace is to replace the formula in every individual cell in the
"display_2007.xls" file, than it will take up a lot of time as all the info's
in this file are from the first file and for the whole year.

"vcff" wrote:

I have 2 excel files, one the Working/Info Details and the other Display.
All the infomation will extract from the Working/Info file by using the
following sample format.

= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]info'!A1 OR
= 'C:\project\[working_info_details.xls]Detail'!H1

My problem is that when I change the Working/Info Details file name, the
Display file is unable to extract the infomation anymore.

How can I change the working file name and the display file will
automatically updated and point to the file with a new name.

Also is there a much better way where I can have the same result, a working
file and a display file.

Pls advice.

Thanks
vcff
where I can work with

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ashkan, Thanks for the help. I had managed to get what you mean by using
the "replace" and sloved my problem.

Have a nice day.
vcff