Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problems when copying Excel into Word

Some clients have been asking me increasingly to deliver translations in
Excel. These are usually lists with parts or phrases from the automotive
industry.
The source text is in column A while I need to translate in column B.
Since I don't like to translate within Excel (several plug-in programs don't
work within Excel), I usually copy the Excel file into MS Word. Everything
gets copied, including the horizontal and vertical lines. but the numbers
which Excel shows in the first column on gray background doesn't get copied!
I need these numbers since I have to make a printout for proofreading and
referencing purposes later on.

How can I get these important numbers show and print in MS Word???

After the translation has been finished, I usually highlight column B and
copy it back into the original Excel file.

Any hint on how to get this task solved is appreciated.

Murgi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think the numbers you're talking about are the row numbers for the
spreadsheet, just as the column letters at the top are part of helping you
identify where you are on the sheet rather than being part of the information
ON the sheet.

Simple solution, scoot things over 1 column: word/phrase in column B,
translation in C.
Next, in A1 type this formula
=ROW()
then 'fill' that formula down as far as you need to go on the sheet, you'll
get row numbers.

Search Excel Help for "fill data" and you'll get help on how to do the fill
operations.

An alternative to that which could be useful in the future would be to type
a 1 into cell A1 and then in A2 enter this formula:
=A1+1
and fill that formula down the sheet. First way is giving you actual row
numbers, second way is just adding 1 to the value in the cell above it.

"Sigi Rindler" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Murgi -

There are many methods to copy from Excel and paste into Word. You did not
mention which method you are using.

For example, one method is to hold down the Shift key in Excel while you
select the Edit menu and choose Copy Picture (which otherwise does not
appear on the Edit menu).

And, if you choose File | Page Setup | Sheet, and check the box for "Row and
column headings" (and optionally for Gridlines), then when you use Copy
Picture and select "As shown when printed" your picture will include the row
number.

I have described only one of the many methods for your copy and paste. You
may want to try some of the other options.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com