Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Default Location Data Import

Can someone tell me where to change the default location of the Data
Menu/Import External Data command. It defaults to a location I don't use.

I have a source location from another program that I always use, but Excel
doesn't "learn" the location.
--
Thanks As Always
Rip
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ripper

I wanted to do this also. Following are the steps I took.

I went into the registry and changed the folder name from My Data Sources to
hoohah.

Excel found hoohah in My Documents when I asked to Import Data.

I then moved hoohah out of My Documents to GordStuff folder.

When I went to DataImport etc. Excel re-built hoohah in My Documents but any
queries I created were not there, they stayed with the moved folder.

Tried several times with differing names, but Excel or Windows re-builds the
folder in My Documents no matter what it is named.

And sticks the default MS Queries like the Stock Quotes and Money Central into
that folder.

With TweakUI you can change the location of Special Folders like My Documents
if you wish, but when I do, My Data Sources goes with it so not much point.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:27:01 -0800, Ripper
wrote:

Can someone tell me where to change the default location of the Data
Menu/Import External Data command. It defaults to a location I don't use.

I have a source location from another program that I always use, but Excel
doesn't "learn" the location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Gord. I appreciate the response. I decided to make a shortcut to the
folder I always use in the default folder. Saves me 5 or 6 doulbe clicks.
--
Thanks As Always
Rip

wrote:

Can someone tell me where to change the default location of the Data
Menu/Import External Data command. It defaults to a location I don't use.

I have a source location from another program that I always use, but Excel
doesn't "learn" the location.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good idea.

Thanks for the feedback.