Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Exclude a row from a SUM

I would like to SUM a long column of numbers. However, I would like to
insert a subtotal half way down the column. Of course, I do not want that
subtotal to be included in the SUM total. When I insert that subtotal row,
can I tell Excel somehow to ignore/exclude that row from the SUM
calculation.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could have

=SUM(a1:A100) - A35

assuming your subtotal row is 35.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Andrew Dyson wrote:

I would like to SUM a long column of numbers. However, I would like to
insert a subtotal half way down the column. Of course, I do not want that
subtotal to be included in the SUM total. When I insert that subtotal row,
can I tell Excel somehow to ignore/exclude that row from the SUM
calculation.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bj bj is offline

check Subtotal() in help. You can make fairly complicated structures using
he subtotal function.

"Andrew Dyson" wrote:

I would like to SUM a long column of numbers. However, I would like to
insert a subtotal half way down the column. Of course, I do not want that
subtotal to be included in the SUM total. When I insert that subtotal row,
can I tell Excel somehow to ignore/exclude that row from the SUM
calculation.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you all.

I think I must have mistakenly initiated a conversation privately outside of
the group by replying instead of replying to the group, which isn't very
helpful for anyone else reading the thread. So I have added Pete's answer
below.

Andrew

An alternative approach, which might make it easier to follow, is to give
the cell with the subtotal in it a name, e.g. "Total". Then your formula
would become:
=SUM(A1:A100) - Total
Another approach: If in the first subtotal cell you have used the formula:
=SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A34)
then for the other overall total you could use:
=SUBTOTAL(9,A1:A100)
and this will ignore any intermediate subtotals you might have in your
range.
Hope this helps.
Pete