Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Exporting conditional formatting rules

From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell to
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Exporting conditional formatting rules

Yes, you can export a set of conditional formatting rules from one worksheet and import them into another worksheet in Excel 2007. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Open the worksheet that contains the conditional formatting rules you want to export.
  2. Select the cells that have the conditional formatting rules you want to export.
  3. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" button in the "Home" tab of the ribbon.
  4. Select "Manage Rules" from the drop-down menu.
  5. In the "Manage Rules" dialog box, select the rule you want to export and click on the "Export" button.
  6. Choose a location to save the exported file and give it a name.
  7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for each rule you want to export.
  8. Open the worksheet where you want to import the conditional formatting rules.
  9. Select the cells where you want to apply the conditional formatting rules.
  10. Click on the "Conditional Formatting" button in the "Home" tab of the ribbon.
  11. Select "Manage Rules" from the drop-down menu.
  12. In the "Manage Rules" dialog box, click on the "Import" button.
  13. Navigate to the location where you saved the exported files and select the file you want to import.
  14. Repeat steps 12 and 13 for each file you want to import.
  15. Click "OK" to close the "Manage Rules" dialog box.

Your imported conditional formatting rules should now be applied to the selected cells in the new worksheet.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which version of Excel is that, Roger?
On Excel 2003 the only thing that I could see which might be described as a
"small cell with a triangle, above row numbers" is the name box, and that
doesn't select the whole sheet.
On my version, to select the whole sheet one needs to click in the square in
the top left-hand corner (above the row 1 and to the left of the column A
labels), or alternatively Control A will select the whole sheet.
--
David Biddulph

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in the
cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell to
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each sheet.
The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I believe he was referring to Excel 2007 which is what I'm using but I don't
think I specified that.
Chad
****************

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Which version of Excel is that, Roger?
On Excel 2003 the only thing that I could see which might be described as a
"small cell with a triangle, above row numbers" is the name box, and that
doesn't select the whole sheet.
On my version, to select the whole sheet one needs to click in the square in
the top left-hand corner (above the row 1 and to the left of the column A
labels), or alternatively Control A will select the whole sheet.
--
David Biddulph

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in the
cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell to
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each sheet.
The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did as you instructed. But it messed that sheet up totally. All I want to
copy over is the conditional formatting RULES, not the formatting itself.

Any other ideas?

Chad
**************************

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This goes for more then just CF.

Create and format SheetA exactly as you want your other sheets to duplicate
.... of course, minus the actual data.

With the SheetA tab selected,
hold down <Ctrl,
click and drag the SheetA tab to the right or left,
release the mouse *first*, then the <Ctrl.

You now have an *exact* copy of the original sheet, with a "2" appended
after the name.
Rename it, and you're all set with an exact copy!
--
HTH,

RD

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David

That was in XL2007, which the OP did mention in his first post.
You are quite right, in XL2003 it is the square above row 1 and left of
column A
In XL2003 you need to type Ctrl +A twice to select the sheet.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"David Biddulph" wrote in message
Which version of Excel is that, Roger?
On Excel 2003 the only thing that I could see which might be described
as a "small cell with a triangle, above row numbers" is the name box,
and that doesn't select the whole sheet.
On my version, to select the whole sheet one needs to click in the
square in the top left-hand corner (above the row 1 and to the left of
the column A labels), or alternatively Control A will select the whole
sheet.
--
David Biddulph

"Roger Govier" wrote in message
Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Chad

I only tested with 1 rule in place, and it worked fine.
I can't see why it would be any different for multiple rules.
In my case formatted G12:H17 with the Conditional format =$A$1=1 and
Fill colour Yellow.
I selected the whole sheet (either the triangle cell top left, or Ctrl +
A (once only required in XL2007))
Copy
Move to cell A1 of Sheet3Paste SpecialFormats
Type a 1 in A1, cells G12:H17 turn yellow.

Nothing gets altered/destroyed/messed up in Sheet2

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional
formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the
cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I specifically do not want an exact copy. I specifically want the formatting
to be different than the other page, except for the conditional formatting
RULES.

All I want to copy over is the conditional formatting RULES, nothing else.

It seems that there is a disconnect in trying to describe and understanding
what I am wanting to accomplish but I know of no other way to express it
except maybe this way:

Very simple, nothing about the two pages are to be similar, except:
1. the conditional formatting rules.

consequently:

2. in the chance that a specific value in a cell on one page is the same as
a cell on the other page, that having the same conditional formatting rules
on both pages would color both cells the same color.

**************************

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The CF "rules" are actually formulas that equate to TRUE or FALSE, where the
return of TRUE will enable the formatting as prescribed in the CF.

Now ... are you looking to copy the formulas of the CF, *BUT NOT* the
formatting that was selected on the previous sheet?

So that say, the *same* condition in B2 on Sheet1 and Sheet2 will invoke
*different* formats (colors) on each individual sheet?

OR ... are you looking to exactly copy *only* the CF's, and not all the
other surrounding formats in/on the other neighboring cells?

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

This goes for more then just CF.

Create and format SheetA exactly as you want your other sheets to

duplicate
.... of course, minus the actual data.

With the SheetA tab selected,
hold down <Ctrl,
click and drag the SheetA tab to the right or left,
release the mouse *first*, then the <Ctrl.

You now have an *exact* copy of the original sheet, with a "2" appended
after the name.
Rename it, and you're all set with an exact copy!
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This

will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional

formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules. The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is

in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the

cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be

terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Then, if all your sheets are identically constructed, all you would need to
do is copy *just* the cells containing the CF to the same cells on the other
sheets.

You can right click in the target cells and choose "Paste Special",
"Formats",
OR
Use the "Format Painter" icon (yellow paint brush).

RD

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This

will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional

formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules.
The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is

in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the

cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be

terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your reply doesn't make sense to me.
I'm using Excel 2007.
So that I don't have to create CF Rules for each sheet I'd like to copy the
rules to the other sheets.

It sounds like you understanding what I'm trying to communicate is not going
to work. I think we've reached an impass.
Sorry it didn't work out...
Anyone else have any ideas as to how to do what I'm wanting or how to
communicate what I'm wanting in a different way?

chad

********************

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers. This

will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional

formatting
rules
and then import them into another worksheet?

On Sheet "A" I've got about 12 conditional formatting rules.
The
rules
color certain cells based on whether a certain string of text is

in
the cell,
ex: HToH. I'd like for the same results in color change in the

cell
appear on Sheet "B".

I don't want to have to create the rules all over again for each
sheet. The
thought of needing to edit the rules in future would be

terrifying.

Thanks,
Chadwill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Good Luck!

RD
-------------------
-------------------

---------------------

---------------------

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers.

This
will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in

message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Whilst I misunderstood your original post and thought that you wanted to
copy all formats (including Conditional Formats)
the principle of what I was saying still applies, and RD has given you
the instructions to just copy and paste only those cells where the CF
conditions apply.

You can apply the CF to multiple pages at the same time, if you first
copy the relevant range of cells from your source sheet, then group
however many other sheets you wish before doing a Paste SpecialValues
to the required locations on the destination sheet.

If you are thinking that the formulae can be exported on their own to
other sheets, as far as I am aware this is not possible as a worksheet
method.

Whether it can be achieved through writing some VBA code I don't know,
but that would be beyond my particular VBA skills.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

Click on the small cell with a triangle, above row numbers.
This
will
select the whole sheet.
CopyMove to Sheet2Paste SpecialFormats

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Chadwill" wrote in
message
From within Excel 2007, can I export a set of conditional
[...]

Junior Member

I came here for the same request as the OP, and it's interesting to see so many answers not address the original question.

Maybe I can make it clearer -- at least for my case, anyway.

I am looking to EXPORT the conditional formatting rules... not cut and paste and apply them to a new sheet. That's easy. In fact, I wouldn't mind exporting them to a TEXT file. From there, I can apply them to a new sheet as I like (cutting and pasting the rules from the text file to the new sheet's CF rules dialog).

The new sheet is completely different from the original, with different column layout, so a "paste format" doesn't work; it breaks the new sheet. I need to manually put all the CF formulas into the new sheet. Since there are a lot of them (I've got about 30 or so), exporting the rules would save time, rather than having to type up new ones by hand.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking it's not possible with a VB script solution, which I'd rather avoid.