Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel or Access for Data Entry and Reporting Application

I need to put together as simple an application as possible to do the
following and need to know if Excel or Access should be used.

I have 3 groups in an organization who need to feed data (i.e. number of
pages printed per day) into either a worksheet or database. Each group
should have their own set of data and it's preferable to enter the data via a
form. The manager of the 3 groups needs to be able to access each of the
sets of data to review and generate reports - they'd prefer to generate them
in Excel because they are more comfortable using it than Access. Reports are
run on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. The data needs to be shared and a
harddrive on a LAN is already available. If only one person were to be
responsible for dataentry and reporting, I'd suggest setting up one workbook
with multiple worksheets. Is this still feasible in a shared setting with
multiple user access? I want to keep the solution as simple and fool proof as
possible (limited or no data loss and system crashing). All suggestions are
welcome!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fee Fee is offline

Hello Galimi,
We run just such a spread sheet, that's shared by multiple users with a
supervisor who manages the data migrations into and out of the workbook. It
seems on one machine when data is input into the sheet and saved after
closing and then reopening the worksheet that newly entered data, from that
one PC just disappears, almost like they did no work at all.
I do intend on reinstalling Office 2003 on her PC but was wondering if there
is some anomaly going on inside Excel that I should be aware of.
Thank you for your feedback.
Fee

"galimi" wrote:

Karin,

Ideally, a database would be the correct way to go, however, given the
familiarity with Excel, you could share a Workbook and create separate sheets
for each data entry clerk to prevent over writing of data.
--
http://HelpExcel.com