Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell advance i.e. tab

Windows XP
Office 2000

Is there a macro that will allow the user to advance a defined number of
cells? In example, I'm entering data in a spreadsheet where I type in
one number, then advance 7 cells to the right to enter the next number.
Is there a way to define how many cells your "tab" key will advance.
I have a lot of data to enter and it's a pain to hit "tab" 7 times in
between each number ( or scroll and click). I'm trying to figure out a
way to speed up my data entry.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Rita Palazzi
Project Engineer / FedEx Express

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This might be too easy, but....

If it's just for your use and you want to enter data into columns B and J

Try this:
Unprotect those columns.....<format<cells<protection tabUncheck: Lock

Then turn on sheet protection....
<tools<protection<protect sheet(skip password)

Now....the tabbing works this way

From B1 To J1
From J1 To B2
From B2 to J2
etc

Is that something you can work with?
***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP

"Rita Palazzi" wrote:

Windows XP
Office 2000

Is there a macro that will allow the user to advance a defined number of
cells? In example, I'm entering data in a spreadsheet where I type in
one number, then advance 7 cells to the right to enter the next number.
Is there a way to define how many cells your "tab" key will advance.
I have a lot of data to enter and it's a pain to hit "tab" 7 times in
between each number ( or scroll and click). I'm trying to figure out a
way to speed up my data entry.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Rita Palazzi
Project Engineer / FedEx Express

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From the sparse description you've given, it looks like you could benefit
from protecting the sheet. Select each cell where data is to be entered and
unlock it (Format Cells Protection and uncheck "Locked"). Then, with
Tools Protection, protect the sheet. The Tab key should then take you from
one data entry cell to the next.

I don't have XL2000 any more, so this is from memory - but you get the
general idea.

--
Noel