Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default on my screen lower left, it says calculate - to the right of "read

it completely recaculates the entire sheet with every bit of data that i
input. the sheets are quite large and they are linked.right now i have
changed it to manual calculation just so i can keep working.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

So what's the question?
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"sharilynn" wrote:

it completely recaculates the entire sheet with every bit of data that i
input. the sheets are quite large and they are linked.right now i have
changed it to manual calculation just so i can keep working.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sharilynn,

That's just the way Excel works. Unfortunately, the Auto/Manual calculate
switch affects all open sheets and workbooks, and can be dangerous, as
nothing on the screen indicates it's in manual (meaning that calcs may not
be correct at the moment). Be careful about saving the workbook (or any
other workbook) at this time, as the manual setting will be saved with the
workbook. They plan to fix this in the year 2057.

You might consider setting up a separate sheet into which to enter the data,
then copy it once at the end. If it's random updates to a table, that won't
work so well, though the existing data could be copied first to the data
entry sheet. Macros could automate the process if this is used a lot.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com