Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula for Conditional Format

I have range A2:C10000 as
item--------------Supplier----------Price
col A---------------Col B------------Col C
pen ----------------Abb ------------1.90
pen ----------------Cad ------------2.00
pen ----------------Ham -----------1.95
Book---------------Cad -------------3.20
Book----------------Ham -----------4.50
Book ---------------Abb -----------3.50
Book ---------------Jal ------------3.10
Ink ----------------Abb------------21.50
Ink -----------------Bom-----------21.00
What formula is to be used in Conditional format to get lowest bid price of
each item and the supplier(Col B & Col C) .
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=$C1=MAX(INDEX(($A$1:$A$1000=$A1)*$C$1:$C$1000,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"TUNGANA KURMA RAJU" wrote in
message ...
I have range A2:C10000 as
item--------------Supplier----------Price
col A---------------Col B------------Col C
pen ----------------Abb ------------1.90
pen ----------------Cad ------------2.00
pen ----------------Ham -----------1.95
Book---------------Cad -------------3.20
Book----------------Ham -----------4.50
Book ---------------Abb -----------3.50
Book ---------------Jal ------------3.10
Ink ----------------Abb------------21.50
Ink -----------------Bom-----------21.00
What formula is to be used in Conditional format to get lowest bid price

of
each item and the supplier(Col B & Col C) .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob -- I tried substituting MIN (for low bid price) for MAX
But get 0's in E2:E10; What's going on?

Range Below (in my example) A1:C10 << my formulas are in Column E2:E10
Item Supplier Price
pen Abb 1.90
pen Cad 2.00
pen Ham 1.95
Book Cad 3.20
Book Ham 4.50
Book Abb 3.50
Book Jal 3.10
Ink Abb 21.50
Ink Bom 21.00

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
:

=$C1=MAX(INDEX(($A$1:$A$1000=$A1)*$C$1:$C$1000,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"TUNGANA KURMA RAJU" wrote in
message ...
I have range A2:C10000 as
item--------------Supplier----------Price
col A---------------Col B------------Col C
pen ----------------Abb ------------1.90
pen ----------------Cad ------------2.00
pen ----------------Ham -----------1.95
Book---------------Cad -------------3.20
Book----------------Ham -----------4.50
Book ---------------Abb -----------3.50
Book ---------------Jal ------------3.10
Ink ----------------Abb------------21.50
Ink -----------------Bom-----------21.00
What formula is to be used in Conditional format to get lowest bid price

of
each item and the supplier(Col B & Col C) .

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,

The problem is that this part of the formula

INDEX(($A$1:$A$10=$A1)*$C$1:$C$10.0)

will return the following array when looking at Pen

{1.9;2;1.95;0;0;0;0;0;0;0}

that is, all the values associated with Pen, zeroes when not Pen.

Clearly, taking the MIN of this will give zero.

To get the MIN, you could use

MIN(IF($A$1:$A$10=$A1,$C$1:$C$10))

in this case the

IF($A$1:$A$10=$A1,$C$1:$C$10)

check returns

{1.9;2;1.95;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FALSE;FA LSE}

and MIN can function okay as it ignores the FALSE values

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"JMay" wrote in message
[...]