Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help - copy a formula using the fill handle

I need to copy a formula to worksheet 1 from worksheet 2 - the formula needs
to fill by column and I can only get it to fill a series by row - does anyone
know how to change so the formula will fill across my row in worksheet 1 by
the answer going down the column from worksheet 2?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let me restate your question to clarify:
Worksheet 2 contains a list of data in a column. You need to copy that
data and paste it into wksht 1 as a row of data, instead of a column of
data. Correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

Post your formula.........chances are that you have some ABSOLUTE references
therein,, (the $ sign)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Lori" wrote:

I need to copy a formula to worksheet 1 from worksheet 2 - the formula needs
to fill by column and I can only get it to fill a series by row - does anyone
know how to change so the formula will fill across my row in worksheet 1 by
the answer going down the column from worksheet 2?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Correct, in addition the data from worksheet 2 is a result (sum) of other
data within that worksheet. For instance on worksheet 1 cell (row)
5a,5b,5c,5d etc needs to be the answer from worksheet 2 cell (column)
A5,A6,A7,A8 etc. - I do this type of task often and when I use handle fill it
"fills" from second worksheet rows - i.e. A5,B5,C5,D5. Hope this is clear.

"Dave O" wrote:

Let me restate your question to clarify:
Worksheet 2 contains a list of data in a column. You need to copy that
data and paste it into wksht 1 as a row of data, instead of a column of
data. Correct?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here's a workaround for you.
1. Until you figure out if this works for you, please insert a new tab
in your workbook, and enter the formula =sheet2!a5, then fill-handle
that down through a8.

2. Highlight those formulas and do a search-and-replace: find the =
sign and replace with the string xyz. This converts the dynamic
formulas to static text strings.

3. Copy those text strings (that used to be formulas), select a new
location for them, and Paste Special: check the Transpose box, and
press OK.

4. Highlight that range, then search and replace: find xyz and replace
with the = sign, which converts the static text strings back to
formulas.

Will this work for you?