Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sheets named from range, and copy data?

Hi,

I really don't know where to start with making what I am trying to
make. I will sum it up as best as I can. I also want to add that I do
not have hardly any experience with macros. I can however learn easily.
:)

I have a sheet with stats for employees. In this workbook I have a
sheet named "Data". I also have a sheet named for a corresponding
supervisor, which is noted next to an employees name. I would like to
set up a macro(s) that will allow me to press a button(how to create
button?), or select a range and then populate a worksheet with that
employee's name and corresponding stats (from the same row where name
is taken from) in different areas to be printed. In other words, I want
to be able to press a button and all stats be printed without having to
compile them on paper. This would allow me and other supervisors to
start Monday morning giving feedback right away and not waste time
going back to it while answering questions, etc.

Any additional information that I need to provide I will respond as
soon as possible.

thanks for anyone's help.

J.B.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jason
I can recommend that you copy all the columns to a single excle sheet. This
is basicall to run an advance query which will fetch you all the information
for you to compare. I shall explain you how to do it.

Assuming that you have copied all the columns to a single spread sheet, you
know the column heading now, save the excel sheet.

Now I wiil be using the Advance filtering techniques so that all the column
information are retrieved even if the typed cells are misspelled, which
normally is not the case when you do a simple filtering technique. The
filtered values may not be correct.

To retieve the values;

1. Select all records and the column headings and define a name for the
range List. This is the List range name.
2. Select all column headings and paste in a seperate row anywhere in the
spreadsheet.
2. Select the pasted column heading along with an empty row and define a
name. This is the criteria range name.
3. Define a criteria on the second row for all columns, if necessary. For
example S* will display all details specific to "S'.
4. Click Data- Filter- Advanced Filter
5. Type the List name
6. Type the Criteria Name
7. Click copy to another location option - Mandatory
8. Click Copy to
9. Click the cell below the criteria range

All data will be displayed specific to the query you requested. This is very
usefull if the spreadsheet data are mistyped or mis-spelled. Now you have
done a database funtion on your excle spread sheet.

Challa Prabhu

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your help Challa. I did this and it copied the cells that
I was looking for data from. What I need is a way to make a sheet from
a template sheet and name it from a list (Range B11-B30).

A B C
11 Name One
12 Name Two
13 Name Three

Then I need to pull data from different cells from the same row as the
persons name , and then port that data onto the new sheet with that
person's name. Cell C1 would NOT go to C1 on the new sheet, etc.

Is that at least a little bit more clear on what I am looking for?

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can just highlight that row and copy the that row to the other sheet
using Edit-paste special-past link.

To remove "Zero values", Do the folowing:
1. Click Tools-options-View tab
2. Under Windows options, clear the Zero value check box
3. Click OK

Now whenever you change values in the row, the target column with
automatically display the content of the source. You can also the tracking
feature of Excel to audit the movement of data across these Excel Sheet(s) of
Excel file.

Challa Prabhu

" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It kind of sounds like you're trying to use the Data worksheet as a database and
merge it into something like a form letter.

If that's what you're doing, you may want to put your form in MSWord and keep
your data in Excel, then use MSWord's mailmerge capability to generate these
"letters".

You may want to read some tips for mailmerge.
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge

The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave
Rado.

If you really want to keep it in excel, you may want to visit Debra Dalgleish's
site:
http://contextures.com/xlForm03.html

And you may want to look at this, too:
http://www.contextures.com/xlForm02.html