Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default "Last Cell" to find last row, but can't delete blank rows

Had a problem w/ speeding up save of an Excel file. Good solutions from
people responding and speed has drastically improved!

I was given another suggestion to use Last Cell or Ctrl-End to find the last
used cell. I did and found that I had about 10,000 "extra" rows that were
all blank and therefore making my file bigger and slower to save.

Now I can not delete the extra rows (or columns). I have high lighted the
unwanted rows and used both Delete and Clear (to take care of any unknown
formatting), but when I try Ctrl-End, I'm right back at row 10,000.

As usual, thanks for you help.
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi John

Save/Close and reopen after you delete the rows/columns

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

" wrote in message
Had a problem w/ speeding up save of an Excel file. Good solutions from
people responding and speed has drastically improved!

I was given another suggestion to use Last Cell or Ctrl-End to find the last
used cell. I did and found that I had about 10,000 "extra" rows that were
all blank and therefore making my file bigger and slower to save.

Now I can not delete the extra rows (or columns). I have high lighted the
unwanted rows and used both Delete and Clear (to take care of any unknown
formatting), but when I try Ctrl-End, I'm right back at row 10,000.

As usual, thanks for you help.
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sean,
Thanks. I have 5 tabs on this sheet. For 4 tabs the number of rows was
reduced from 5000 to between 480-490 (it varied). For the 5th tab, it stayed
at 5000 rows.

In deleting columns, if I have a VBA instruction that says,e.g., select
columns A thru CZ...so if I say delete all columns Z thru IV, does this
overide the instruction that needs columns A - AZ?

John