Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why is conditional formatting disabled(!)?

I'm having a "bad hair day" and the frustration level is high, so
forgive me if this is a "stupid" question.

I have a spreadsheet that have cells with conditional formatting. I
confirm that using Edit - Goto - Special - Conditional Format.

Yet when I select one of those cells -- or any cell without conditional
formatting -- and click on Format, the Condition Formatting option is
greyed out (disabled).

Why? That is, how might that have happened?

More importantly, how do I re-enable the ability to enable or change
Conditional Formatting?

I am using Office Excel 2003. I created the workbook, and it remains
on the computer where it originated. I do not recall setting any
special options for the workbook.