Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Faster Excel Saves??

I have a 4 MB Excel file running VBA which is made up mostly of 7 fairly
large macros and some data.

When I save the file, it takes about 2 1/2 minutes....and during the Save
process, the Task Manager is showing "Not Resonding", until the thing finally
settles down after the 2.5 minutes.

Is there any way to implement a faster save time? Apparently Word and PPT
have the Fast Save feature, but Excel doesn't.

Thanks,
John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Fast Save adds the changes to the file, so the file size increases, and
reopening the file takes longer as the original version is opened than
subsequent changes are made, during the file open process. Most experts
recommend against this option.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com
_______

" wrote in
message ...
I have a 4 MB Excel file running VBA which is made up mostly of 7 fairly
large macros and some data.

When I save the file, it takes about 2 1/2 minutes....and during the Save
process, the Task Manager is showing "Not Resonding", until the thing
finally
settles down after the 2.5 minutes.

Is there any way to implement a faster save time? Apparently Word and PPT
have the Fast Save feature, but Excel doesn't.

Thanks,
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are some suggested reasons for slow open/close at
http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeedd.htm#OpSave

and see also David McRitchies page at
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

Once you have identified the reason you may be able to improve things.

regards
Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.3 now available
Name Manager 4.0 now available
www.DecisionModels.com

" wrote in
message ...
I have a 4 MB Excel file running VBA which is made up mostly of 7 fairly
large macros and some data.

When I save the file, it takes about 2 1/2 minutes....and during the Save
process, the Task Manager is showing "Not Resonding", until the thing
finally
settles down after the 2.5 minutes.

Is there any way to implement a faster save time? Apparently Word and PPT
have the Fast Save feature, but Excel doesn't.

Thanks,
John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave: Good idea. My save time to hard drive took 6 seconds!
Jon: Cool stuff in the links. Thanks much. I was hoping that there were
some temp files building up that I could delete.
You guys do provide valuable service and help.
Thanks,
John

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If you're not saving to your local harddrive, maybe you can try that.

Then use windows explorer to copy that file to where you want it.

--

Dave Peterson