Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping and counting

Hi,

Here“s what I need to do (if possible). I have a list of names in a
column. Most of these names appear more than once.
Eg:

Peter
Paul
Albert
Peter
Peter
..

And so on. What I need is to know how many times each name appears and
to get a list of each name related to those appearances. Something
like:

Peter 3
Paul 1
Albert 1

The trick is that there“s no way to know all the names that can appear
beforehand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sort your data (DataSort) and then choose DataSubtotals

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

wrote in message oups.com...
Hi,

Here“s what I need to do (if possible). I have a list of names in a
column. Most of these names appear more than once.
Eg:

Peter
Paul
Albert
Peter
Peter
..

And so on. What I need is to know how many times each name appears and
to get a list of each name related to those appearances. Something
like:

Peter 3
Paul 1
Albert 1

The trick is that there“s no way to know all the names that can appear
beforehand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DEE DEE is offline

If you don't want to sort your data, you can use the Countif function.

Example: =COUNTIF(A1:A6,"Peter")
--
Dee

" wrote:

Hi,

HereĀ“s what I need to do (if possible). I have a list of names in a
column. Most of these names appear more than once.
Eg:

Peter
Paul
Albert
Peter
Peter
..

And so on. What I need is to know how many times each name appears and
to get a list of each name related to those appearances. Something
like:

Peter 3
Paul 1
Albert 1

The trick is that thereĀ“s no way to know all the names that can appear
beforehand.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try using a pivot table.
I am assuming that the names are in Column A. If you have additional fully
populated columns in the sheet you are in good shape. If you only have the
names column, copy it and paste it into column B.

Select cell A1. From the "data" menu, select "Pivot Table and Pivot Chart
Report..."

Click "Next" twice, the click the "Layout" button. Drag the box with the
heading from Column A into the row "Area" and any other box into the "Data"
area.

Clidk "OK" the click on "Finish."

You should have a count of all instances of each name. If you add more rows
to the table, you will have to repeat the process for an updated count.

Regards...

ChristopherTri