Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Decimal places and subtracting

I have a payroll spreadsheet. In the first cell I have gross pay. The next
cell FICA tax with a formula that takes gross pay times .062. I have that
rounded to two decimal places. After the other cells for deductions, I have
a net pay cell that subtracts all the cells from gross pay. The problem is
that Excel is subtracting the actual answer in the cells that have a formula,
not the dollar amount that shows. For example, if the FICA is 84.56584, it
shows as $84.57 in the cell. But the net pay cell subtracts 84.56584. The
end result is that since I have two of these formula cells, one for FICA and
one for Medicare, net pay is sometimes off by a penny. I go through and
check the math each time. Is there any way I can get around this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Changing the decimals with formatting alters only what is DISPLAYED not what
is STORED in the cell.
Rather than =B5*0.062 use =ROUND(B5*0.062,2) to get a stored value rounded
to 2 decimal places
There is an alternative way in which Excel is configured to use the
displayed values as the stored values but many Excel experts warn against
using it.
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme