wal50

Default Text to Currency

I have several files to import. They are .txt files where the dollar amount,
in addition to being text, has an implied decimal point (198756 should be
$1987.86). I can import and format the other fields (dates, etc) using the
wizard. How can the text/implied decimal be handled? Also, how can lead
zeros be retained in a numeric format?
Thanks
wal50
Jim Rech

To divide a range of numbers by 100, enter 100 in a cell and copy it. Then
select the range of numbers and do an Edit, Paste Special and select Divide
as the operation and click OK. Afterwards press Esc to exit copy mode and
format the numbers as currency if you wish.

True numbers cannot have leading zeros in their cells. You could import the
data as Text however and they will stay as they are.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP